KWinFT and Wrapland, drop-in replacements for KWin and KWayland

Roman Gilg has been busy for months with the development of his exciting KWinFT project.
In close cooperation with him today we are able to make these packages available on our unstable branch right away on release day.

On unstable branch, simply install package kwinft, which will replace kwin and pull in wrapland as its dependency.
We are also providing a (still to be upstreamed) patched version of libkscreen, so make sure your system already has latest pkgrel 5.18.4.1-1.1 installed.

Have fun testing and please report back any issues, complaints and ... RAVES !!! :partying_face:

39 Likes

Hi all,

thank you @oberon for the great introduction.

I'm looking forward to all your feedback. This is the very first release and pre-release testing was minimal because of that. I'm using it daily on my PC and two laptops but that doesn't mean nothing will break.

But since you're a wild bunch on unstable branch anyway, I guess that's not a biggie for you.

I would be especially interested in feedback from Nvidia users. The compositing rework patches were mostly tested against AMD and Intel graphics and there is one last bit missing for full support on Nvidia but it might be already fine now in many cases.

Thanks for your feedback and have fun testing this new release out.

22 Likes

Something is awry, the package reports 404 from every mirror I have tried, e.g.:

error: failed retrieving file 'wrapland-0.518.0_beta.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.moson.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'wrapland-0.518.0_beta.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.moson.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'wrapland-0.518.0_beta.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.alpix.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'wrapland-0.518.0_beta.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from www.uex.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'wrapland-0.518.0_beta.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files

This is after updating my mirrors with pacman-mirrors.

the beta is no longer in the repo. try a different mirror please.
I think you might need to refresh your database. Are you sure you ran pacman -Sy ?

No issue here:

$ sudo pacman -S kwinft
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: kwinft and kwin are in conflict. Remove kwin? [y/N] y

Packages (3) kwin-5.18.4.1-4 [removal]  wrapland-0.518.0-1  kwinft-5.18.0-1

Total Download Size:    7,62 MiB
Total Installed Size:  22,16 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -1,23 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 wrapland-0.518.0-1-x86_64                   2,8 MiB  1348 KiB/s 00:02 [#######################################] 100%
 kwinft-5.18.0-1-x86_64                      4,8 MiB  2,12 MiB/s 00:02 [#######################################] 100%
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                                         [#######################################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                                       [#######################################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                                            [#######################################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                                      [#######################################] 100%
(3/3) checking available disk space                                    [#######################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing kwin                                                    [#######################################] 100%
(1/2) installing wrapland                                              [#######################################] 100%
(2/2) installing kwinft                                                [#######################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for kwinft
    qt5-virtualkeyboard: virtual keyboard support for kwin-wayland [installed]
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Updating icon theme caches...

It is fine this morning, must have been a lag, I went to bed shortly after I posted :smiley:

great! :+1: I tend to be rather laggy before I fall asleep myself :rofl:

1 Like

Switched to unstable to install. My old nVidia is a bit of a dog with KDE anyway. So far not noticing any problem.
NVIDIA GT215 [GeForce GT 240] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nvidia v: 340.108
Kernel: 5.5.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0

1 Like

Seems to work well but i have the normal tearing and echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE says X11, how do i use wayland with this project??

probably the same as ever: install plasma-wayland-session and select it in SDDM :slight_smile:

Thanks, it seems like wayland still is extremly buggy. The kde settings Crash easily, a native Linux game became extremly laggy and the mouse pointer is huge on the desktop

I can confirm the cursor bug. While over thunderbird or firefox, the corsor is normal, while on an empty screen or over the panel it is about twice as big :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
With konsole I get a normal cursor over the title bar and big one over the menu and terminal content.

Yep it's very weird, i hope this fork now can do heavy adjustments in the compositor so wayland compatibility will be great

Big cursor bug isn't something new, I've been experiencing it for 2 years already, and it's not a kwinft-related issue I guess.
My laptop has a dual Intel/Nvidia graphics, will test this new stuff tomorrow. Expecting bugs already...

1 Like

thanks.

works well so far.

1. GTK apps doesn't seem to have font anti-aliasing with KWinFT, for example pamac

2. Display configurations says No KScreen backend found so unusable (not sure if it's compositor or just something from unstable, but kscreen installed)

Rest is same as everyone else.

Anyway, really glad to see efforts in that diretion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can only add that shade/unshade mouse wheel actions do not work.
And of course this usual Wayland mess with multi-monitor setups as if it's something exotic.

This is caused by GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 as far as I can tell. manjaro-kde-settings-19.0 is to blame.

1 Like

The KScreen backend thing can be fixed by either waiting until the changes are upstreamed or install libkscreen-kwinft-git from the AUR.

1 Like

@keybreak , @Zamundaaa ?

1 Like

wow...our happiness about normal open/save dialog wasn't for long :upside_down_face:

Not under wayland anyway.

Forum kindly sponsored by