Laptop boots into GRUB

So I have a laptop that I dual boot with Windows 10 and Manjaro. I was doing some research on how to "factory reset" Manjaro and I came across a post that provided a command to do just that. And like an idiot I ran the command and it uninstalled everything and I mean everything on Manjaro. Upon restarting my laptop I boot into the screen below and it gave me a real scare because I dont know how to boot into windows that has ALL my school work. I really need to fix this because I need to do work, Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.20200122_182940

First things first, let us summon the mighty @gohlip. He is a master at boot issues.

Second, what exact command did you run? It is important as it may effect whether you can get Windows back as well. For now, you can check the status of your hard drive partitions with a live USB. Post that too, please. I should also add that you will need to reinstall Manjaro entirely if you completely wiped it out. For now let’s see if Windows is intact.

If it is you should be able to get your dual boot back no problem with a fresh Manjaro install.

pacman -R $(comm -23 <(pacman -Qq|sort) <((for i in $(pacman -Qqg base); do pactree -ul $i; done)|sort -u|cut -d ' ' -f 1)). Thats the command I ran. I dont know what it did but I think it messed me up.

Try this out.

Good luck.

Why you would execute a package removal without understanding it or at least look at the removed packages is beyond me. On my system this would remove 1462 out of 1468 install packages: so practically everything.
Reinstallation would be the only thing left after that.

Alright. So you basically nuked everything by removing most, if not all of your installed packages. This removed critical components needed for the system to boot. However, your Windows partition is fine. Pacman wouldn’t touch that. The easiest thing for you to do is boot into the live USB and go through the dual-boot setup again. And also, always know what a command does before executing it.

And for future reference, there is no factory reset option in Linux. Whoever gave you that command has a sick sense of humor and must enjoy pranking newbies :roll_eyes:

This command could have made perfect sense on another distro (hint: Arch) and another time. It tries to find (and subsequently uninstall) all packages which either do not belong to base group or are not a dependency of a package which belongs to base group.
Since Arch replaced base group by a metapackage last year, this won't work there either.

Well, I suppose the command makes sense as it is a "factory reset" of sorts. Still, whoever suggested it didn't take into account what it would/could do on Manjaro. So, maybe not malicious intent but definitely a case of ignorance/oversight on whoever suggested the command.

Thankfully OP didn't run something like dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda which writes garbage data to the entire disk. That was my main concern. The takeaway here, as you were saying, is always know what a command does.

Or restore the backup (timeshift ...).

Since he joined Jan. 2018, with 1h read time.
So I guess there's no backup :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by