Laptop froze, now WIFI no longer works

My DELL Latitude froze overnight. After a reboot my WIFI is no longer working, no networks can be seen.

lpsci -v shows that my network controller is available

rfkill list shows that there is no soft or hard block.

I also did systemctl restart NetworkManager.service. NetworkManager does restart, however that does not affect my wifi. I confirmed that there were no errors doing journalctl -xe and the logs say that the service restarted successfully.

At this point I am at a loss.

can you returns

inxi -Fxxxza

I have to type my responses manually since I can't access the internet from that laptop.

Running inxi -Fxxxza, I assume you want to look at Network

Network: 
Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Dell Inspiron M5010 / XPS 8300
driver: bcma-pci-bridge
v: N/A
port: 7040
bus ID: 02:00.0
chip ID: 14e4:4727

Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
vendor: Dell
driver: tg3
v: 3.137
port: 7040
bus ID: 0a:00.0
chip ID: 14e4:1681
IF: enp10s0
state: down
mac: <filter>

Have you rebooted your router. You may also want to do a hard reset (back to factory) on the router.

What precipitated this?

Had you done a recent update and only rebooted before this occurred?

Have you recently updated or changed kernels?

I would highly recommend booting some other live OS's to be sure your wifi is still working correctly.

Router is working, other devices can get online.

I do perform pacman updates and then reboot when I reboot. In this case I believe I did run an update, I did not reboot, and then over night my laptop froze. It was stuck in the screen saver screen. Unable to recover I did a hard turn off/on. When it started WIFI was not available.

I can try doing a restart with a different live OS. WIll post results

Note the kernel and driver/firmware version in use on any live disk where your wifi works.

Read this:

If you have already installed the broadcom-wl-dkms driver then be sure to rebuild it from your package cache. DKMS drivers occasionally require rebuilding after some updates.

You can use Android USB phone tethering for a temporary internet connection to install required packages.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by