Latest GRUB update misses Windows entry and some other OSes

Hi,
Just to ask if some else has seen this strange behaviour:
I just updated the system ( as usual via CLI pacman ) and noticed a new grub version.

As usual ( since kernel 4.18.x ) GRUB os-probe takes 12 minutes to check all the HDDs, so I let it run .

But after rebooting in the GRUB menu was updated but it lacked MS Windows and some other HDD Linuxes.

Putting in context:
I have 1 SSD ( Manjaro installed ) and 3 HDD; each HDD has their one local GRUB MBR installed.
I am commenting the detail in the SSD GRUB MBR boot installation.

I know that Manjaro is a bit picky with GRUB so ..

The update action did add and entry for "RED Core Linux" in another HDD (with a GPT table ) but missed the MS Windows in their own SSD .

The same grub-update action from Anti-X 17 ( with an older GRUB version, pointing to the local HDD with a GPT table ) did got correctly the Windows and other linuxes ...

Any comments or ideas ?

As root run os-prober, then update-grub

1 Like

As far as I know the "update grub" script calls the "os-prober" automatically.
( that was why I had the "Red Core Linux" added to the grub list )

Nonetheless I did execute os-prober manually ( got the windows entry and all the other entries),
listed several strange file descriptor 3 lines ...

( I am away from the designated machine until the next 10 hours, so I will report the os-prober errors as soon as I have access ... )

Edit:
The errors are :

File Descriptor 3 (dev/tty1) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe
File Descriptor 9 (pipe: [222243] ) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe
File Descriptor 3 (dev/tty1) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe
File Descriptor 9 (pipe: [222243] ) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent PID 3791: grub-probe

Nonetheless I noticed that it missed the Anti-X Linux ...

Any ideas ?

why is Anti-X Linux entry missing ?

If I call update-grub ( old version 2.02 beta ) from inside Anti-X Linux ( sdc ) it will detect Red-Core Linux and others ...

Any comments ?

I think I have read something earlier on the forum - many months ago - about lsb_release (or another component identifying the distro) which when not present make the grub configuration script exclude entries that cannot be identified properly.

Hi, again...

After some troubles with the /dev/sda I got this issue solved in a strange way ...
Because in the /dev/sdc I use it to install and test different distros ...
In the final installation section (GRUB ) of the Anti-X ( and afterwards even MX Linux )

Selecting the option to the correct HDD ( /dev/sdc ) something happens and GRUB get functional and installed correctly.

Although I still have some distro ( at this point I do not remember which ) that are not still recognized and do not have an entry in the GRUB menu ...

Thanks for the support ...

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by