Latest manjaro kde not running on pc

Hello,

I downloaded the latest manjaro (kde) OS, checked the hash and it was fine.

I used Etcher to create a live pendrive, which is running well on my pc (using free drivers).

I installed the OS to my hard drive (successful) and see the manjaro splash screen, the welcome window, and a box telling me that the internet is unavailable.

A black background is seen and no desktop. I tried with another kernel, but observed the same black background and no desktop.

From the pendrive I used mhwd -li -d and noted that the video driver is the free driver (video-linux: standard open source driver).

Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong?

Thanks

Did you try CTRL+ALT+F2

Login

Then

startx

Hello,

This may help.

1 Like

I don't know. What do you think?

Hello,

I am baffled, it should run.
I did try startx, but no response.

I will have a look at the page suggested by yawanthan

Regards

Ps. I thought of re-installing again, but nothing appeared to be wrong, so I would expect the same result.

Hello,

I have put my Xorg.0.log for the new OS into 'pasted'

http://pasted.co/74b36f42

I have read the errors from the journalctl, but I don't know enough to troubleshoot:

journalctl -p 3
-- Logs begin at Thu 2018-09-06 01:09:34 BST, end at Thu 2018-09-06 11:55:22 BST. --
Sep 06 01:10:58 andrew-Dell-pc kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64
-- Reboot --
Sep 06 01:14:59 andrew-Dell-pc sddm[323]: Failed to read display number from pipe
Sep 06 01:14:59 andrew-Dell-pc sddm[323]: Display server failed to start. Exiting
Sep 06 01:15:02 andrew-Dell-pc sddm[472]: Failed to read display number from pipe
Sep 06 01:15:02 andrew-Dell-pc sddm[472]: Display server failed to start. Exiting
Sep 06 01:15:03 andrew-Dell-pc systemd-coredump[471]: Process 323 (sddm) of user 0 dumpe>

The graphics section from inxi gives. The Nouveau unloaded may be a clue

Graphics:
  Card-1: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: server: X.org 1.20.1 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting tty: 89x30 
  Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable for root. Old System?
'''

[ 33.617] (--) NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: "NVIDIA NV46"

Search for issues with the model.

You can pipe journalctl whatever output into a file by > journal_xyz.txt

I will search

But I am still wondering why it works on the pendrive (live), but not on installation.

Regards

You can try editing ~/.config/kwinrc -> Backend=XRender

I am seeing:

[manjaro .config]# cat kwinrc
[Compositing]
OpenGLIsUnsafe=false

I am wondering if you are suggesting that I should add the line Backend=XRender after the above output

Check and see if you are logging into a Wayland session for some reason. Also if this is a laptop please make sure your brightness is set to max. I have in the past had something similar happen, and thought it was a bad install, but for some reason on the first boot after install the brightness was set to nothing, result black screen.

Hello,

I am using a pc.

I don't know how to check if I am logging in to Wayland.

Regards

Switch to another TTY and run top, htop or sudo ps_mem to see what processes are running. If you see Xwayland it is Wayland, otherwise you will see Xorg.

running Xorg

Can you run any shortcuts, like Alt+F2 for Krunner, F12 for yakuake, Ctrl+Alt+T for Konsole?

Edit: If you get Konsole, run

kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell

Hello,

With the black screen, I can't access any applications.

Using mhwd I can access the harddrive from the live pendrive.

I tried ```
kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell (from mhwd)

But plasmashell could not be found.

At the moment, I am using a live pendrive. I could reboot and try at the black screen (hard drive).

If Alt + F2, F12, or Ctrl + Alt + T work, what is your advice? I could also try kquitapp5 etc again at this screen.

Have you an idea why the OS works well on the pendrive, but not on the hard disk?

Thanks

I suspect you mean via chroot (mhwd-chroot). If yes, you cannot start GUI/Xorg from chroot.

In Konsole, if it starts with shortcut, on the installation, NOT Live ISO.

No.

This means that your system is fine (generally). Just Xorg is not starting for some reason. :question:
Maybe GPU drivers? You should post some info when possible.

inxi -SMGxxxz
1 Like

Hello

I wonder if this is my problem

' Display: server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa'

If so, how to fix?

See below for output 

manjaro /]# inxi -SMGxxxz
System:    Host: manjaro Kernel: 4.14.65-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.0 Console: tty 3 
           wm: kwin_x11 dm: sddm Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Dell DM061 v: N/A serial: N/A Chassis: type: 6 serial: N/A 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0WG864 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: 2.3.2 date: 03/30/2007 
Graphics:  Card-1: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:01d1 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa 
           compositor: kwin x11 resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NV46 v: 2.1 Mesa 18.1.6 direct render: Yes 
[manjaro /]# 

Regards

Hello,

Is this the problem?

'Display: server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: nouveau unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa’

If so, how to rectify?

Regards

Can you first try to set
OpenGLIsUnsafe=true
and login?

Forum kindly sponsored by