Lenovo Legion Y520 Wifi Hard Blocked

Hi,
So far I've been very happy with this new laptop. After putting manjaro i3 on it, however, I figured out that WLAN is hard-blocked via rfkill list all and that I also cannot override it with # rfkill unblock all .
This is rather frustrating, as everything worked fine under the pre-installed Windows 10. Some Ubuntu fora suggest editing sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with adding blacklist ideapad_laptop and then rebooting but all to no avail.
I find egregious how these new systems seem to invent ever more insidious ways to make dual booting possible.

The wlan nic in question by the way is called Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC so have a look at that. Realtek is known to not play well with linux (last info I have on that topic).

do lshw and lspci show it at all?

darn.
I only see the Realtek Ethernet controller. Under Network controller, though, it reads: Intel Corporate Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth (rev 99).
According to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop/Lenovo#Lenovo it should be possible to enable... somehow :-/

OK. So I just noticed under lshw pci:1 *-network is listed as DISABLED (and then comes above Intel wireless product). Can I perhaps enable it with some systemctl command?

Maybe try a newer kernel. I notice that Archwiki page tested it with 4.14.

So what is returned by sudo rfkill list????

Have you tried:

sudo rfkill unblock <id>

Specifying the id didn't help either. It's like the command gets completely ignored. My kernel is 4.14, too.
At least I've managed to get back to the pre-installed Windoes by installing rEFInd via usb. On there everything works just fine.

Ok. I've solved it. How stupid:
I re-read the web and found sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ideapad.conf <<< "blacklist ideapad_laptop" here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/893384/wifi-doesnt-work-on-fresh-ubuntu-16-04
So first I thought that's exactly what I've already tried via nano but then "whatever, might as well do it again". Voila, that's it. The -ideapad addition made the difference.
Cheers, and sorry for taking up your time.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by