Libre Office hangs on start then freezes PC

Hello,

i installed both libreoffice-fresh and libreoffice-still (one after the other by uninstalling the previous) on my Manjaro HTPC running testing branch and KDE.
When i try to start any of the libre office programs (writer, calc etc) the loading logo appears with progressbar, after a while a transparent window shows behind the logo and then libre office hangs there for some minutes and eventually the complete PC will freeze. No reaction to mouse movement or clicks nor keyboard input. I can't even switch to fallback console (Ctrl+Alt+F2).
The libre office task cannot be killed and if i try to restart it before everything freezes, it will not perform a restart but hang there for about 5 minutes in black screen then show a message libre office could not be stopped and that's it.

Has anybody the same problem and another solution then uninstalling libre office? Are there better alternatives?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:.

Launch from a terminal and post the errors.

1 Like

There are exactly ... none ... unfortunately:

Can i activate some kind of log/debug mode to get more information?

mv  ~/.config/libreoffice/  ~/.config/libreoffice-old

Then try again.

Well at least it changed the behavior ... the system does not freeze after some minutes but KDE/xorg will crash almost immediatly and i'm stuck with blank screen (monitor goes into standby cause of no signal) if i try to enter terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2) the monitor gets back on but no login just a black screen.

The screenshot looks like you have also done a system update. You should reboot and see if that changes things.

already did that several times ... the screenshot was taken after i did the system update in hope it could fix the problem. Restarted the system several times since then but no change.

It looks like a video driver issue (guess), can you post an inxi of your system.

I am around, I have a lot of conference calls/teams stuff to do today, so will be slow in responding (the :poop: has really hit the fan today) :smiley:

Hmm maybe ... works fine with Proton and Elite Dangerous though ;).

inxi -v 1
System:    Host: Manjaro-HTPC Kernel: 5.6.7-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
CPU:       Quad Core: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics type: MT MCP speed: 1420 MHz min/max: 1600/3600 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.36.0 5.6.7-1-MANJARO LLVM 10.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.5 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 2.73 TiB used: 219.56 GiB (7.9%) 
Info:      Processes: 232 Uptime: 8m Memory: 6.78 GiB used: 1.04 GiB (15.3%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.37

I know nothing of AMD but that is a red flag

Well and that is why? I want to use the amdgpu driver not ati driver .... or is it the unloaded mode setting?

EDIT: Seems to be just fine: inxi -G driver : amdgpu FAILED: ati

As I said...... I know nothing :rofl:

Hmm ... is there a way to install the 32bit version of Libre Office? I read that this solved a similar Problem for someone with Libre Office. But there seems only 64 versions in repos and AUR.
Or another solution might be disabling OpenGL for Libre Office ... i have to find out how to do that.

OK Update: Disabling OpenGL for LibreOffice worked for me.
From the ArchLinux wiki:

export SAL_DISABLE_OPENCL=1
export SAL_DISABLEGL=1

To set those two environment variables will disable OpenGL support for LibreOffice and now it starts and works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by