Linux != Windows | Why should Linux want me?

I got linked to a writing on the topic of Linux is not Windows.

The last sentence reads

It's not just about "Why should I want Linux?". It's also about "Why should Linux want me?"

Quotes from article

Some of the thoughts is spot on for some a few of the members which has signed up for this community.

Remember that where Linux is familiar and the same as what you're used to, it isn't new & improved. Welcome the places where things are different, because only here does it have a chance to shine.

A great view on cars/vehicles vs the roads to drive and the type of vehicle to use.

Don't assume that being a knowledgeable Windows user means you're a knowledgeable Linux user: When you first start with Linux, you are a novice.

The culture shock - Windows users are used the customer-supplier relationship

Simply remember that you haven't paid the developer who wrote the software or the people online who provide the tech support. They don't owe you anything.

Another section worth reflection on is the comparison between a box of Lego to build a model car and Linux as building blocks where the Lego parts can be build into several different cars and so can Linux be build to reflect a specific workflow.

Just remember that what Linux seems to be now is not what Linux was in the past. The largest and most necessary part of the Linux community, the hackers and the developers, like Linux because they can fit it together the way they like; they don't like it in spite of having to do all the assembly before they can use it.

The thoughts on the expression user friendly - which is sometimes referred to by those new members.

The simple answer: User-friendly is a misnomer, and one that makes a complex situation seem simple.

What does "user-friendly" really mean? Well, in the context in which it is used, "user friendly" software means "Software that can be used to a reasonable level of competence by a user with no previous experience of the software." This has the unfortunate effect of making lousy-but-familiar interfaces fall into the category of "user-friendly".

Understand that FOSS thing

Linux is not interested in market share. Linux does not have customers. Linux does not have shareholders, or a responsibility to the bottom line. Linux was not created to make money. Linux does not have the goal of being the most popular and widespread OS on the planet.

All the Linux community wants is to create a really good, fully-featured, free operating system. If that results in Linux becoming a hugely popular OS, then that's great. If that results in Linux having the most intuitive, user-friendly interface ever created, then that's great. If that results in Linux becoming the basis of a multi-billion dollar industry, then that's great.

I had a good time reading this - depending on your reading speed - you can use 30-60 minutes with it.

The original article in its full length can be read following this link.

This work is copyright 24/05/06 and belongs to Dominic Humphries. It may be redistributed under a Creative Commons License: The URL https://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm must supplied in attribution.

33 Likes

maybe pin to newbie corner?

3 Likes

Nice article. Both. Everyone who would make the switch should read this :+1:

For further discussion see:

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by