LiveUSB crash on Ryzen 3600

As in the title the system crashes right after booting so I am unable to install it. I have tried everything I could from this topic, but nothing helps. I have AGESA updated to abba version which was supposed to fix linux problems. The versions I tried are both 18.1.0 and 18.1.1. There is no error message whatsoever and the screen goes black then the comupter just resets. It happens when I try other distros too, e.g. Ubuntu. Is there anything more that I could do to fix this issue?

Welcome, what GPU are you using and also which desktop environment media did you download? Did you verify the download is not corrupt? Also, what method did you use to write the ISO to USB?

My GPU is R9 390, desktop environment is gnome, I have verified the ISO file and I have used Rufus for writing it onto the USB drive.

That means you have a Desktop PC. Start with the BIOS settings. Don't know if is the case, but make sure no secure boot and fast boot are enabled, and that you set AHCI the SATA controller, and maybe, if your mobo has an integrated GPU to disable it.

I have covered basics like that: AHCI is the only mode avaliable on modern MOBOs, Ryzen CPUs don't have iGPUs, my mobo doesn't have fast boot/it is forced by default and secure boot is disabled as I am used to installing Linux on different PC builds. And I think things like that would cause the computer not to boot rather than crashing after booting.

1 Like

Rufus should only be used in dd mode to write Manjaro images to USB sticks, not ISO mode. Apart from trying that, add the following to the boot command and see if it helps. On the startup screen where you set options or just boot, you can do that by moving the cursor down to the line that has a notebook icon next to it and pressing enter

radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1

Thank you very much, it seems to be working now. I haven't even thought about it being a problem with GPU as I have heard that Ryzen could be problematic. Should I add the same commands after installing the OS or do something else in order to prevent this in the future?

yes you'll need to add those commands post installation too in grub.cfg and regenerate grub but I guess you know how to do that given your comment about different linux pc builds before.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by