Lock when close lid. The setting

Brand new Manjaro XFCE, fresh out of the box.

I run a setup with a laptop as the base of a monitor; the laptop stays shut and gives me a single-screen monitor setup.

I go to the XFCE options and

When the laptop is closed, switch off the display. Don't lock, don't do anything more.

I ran power manager with sudo and it's not running there, only through the interface.

Upon restart it functions as intended until a moment on the desktop and then it locks.

The intent is to just switch off the display. Automatic locks are disabled.

Edit: Will reboot with
HandleLidSwitch=ignore in /etc/systemd/logind.conf
IgnoreLid=true in etc/UPower/UPower.conf

Welcome to the Manjaro forum @ahoward367 - and congrats with a new XFCE :smiley:

If I understand you right, you just want the laptop screen to be off and use the external monitor?

I'm not sure if the XFCE Power Manager can separate between monitors when laptop lid closes; if it turns off it will turn off all screens, I think.

So a better way might be to use the Display settings

Screenshot_2020-05-08_14-20-04

Just deactivate the laptop screen and use only the external monitor.

Here's a couple of articles on the Arch Wiki that might be of interest:

1 Like

If I understand you correctly, to do what you want to do, you just have to Do Nothing when closing the laptop instead of turning off the screen:

2020-05-08_14-31

as there is a hardware switch that will stop the internal display screen's backlight (which is the big power-hungry consumer here) regardless of the setting Do Nothing

It's like your fridge: even when you Do Nothing and you close the fridge door, the light will turn off!!!

:grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by