Macbook Pro 2017 WiFi and Sound not working.

I have a Mcbook Pro, I believe a 2017 model, has the touchbar, and I cannot get the wifi to connect and the sound does not seem to work. I see networks and I see that the hardware has a driver loaded and shows up in pulse audio, but I am having no luck with it. The strange thing is that at some point during testing some Arch based distros I had working WiFi, but now that I have settled, it just will not connect to any. I have looked into the various Broadcom driver, but the brcmfmac is the only one that really loads at all, and the sound would be less of an issue, except that the bluetooth on the SoC is pretty jank as well. I can use it, but audio really only works on A2DP Sync so the mic is too choppy to use and the sound is laggy and muddy. I am pretty well experienced with Linux and generally have no issues getting stuff working, especially these days, but this one is stumping me.
The system information is as follows:

Kernel: 5.2.8-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.16.4
Type: Laptop System: Apple product: MacBookPro14,3 v: 1.0 
Device-1: Intel 100 Series/C230 Series Family HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3
Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless LAN SoC vendor: Apple driver: brcmfmac v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0

I do not know exactly which Macbook you have, but maybe that will help you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro10,x

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro11,x

Thanks for the information, unfortunately I read both of those before and this Mac is a bit newer being a 14,3 and so it has some different hardware. That being said I did not originally notice the first time through that there is a MacBook kernel linux-macbook in the AUR. So it was helpful to see those posts again :smile: am building that now to see if that helps at all.

Unfortunately that did not help at all. From what I can tell, this may be something to do with binary firmware that is supplied, but I know fairly little about that. I am also trying the test release of 5.3 and the LTS release 4.19 kernel. Neither onr of those seems to help.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac#Sound

Audio is not fully supported on your model yet.

Conclusions?

If you want to run Linux, don't buy a Mac.

1 Like

Thanks for the links, I had not seen the last 2. Audio is not as big of a deal as the WiFi and the Bluetooth performance would seal the deal as I use headsets for meetings any way (I can just use my phone though if necessary). That being said, while I appreciate the assistance, and I really do appreciate it, your snide remark about not buying a mac is not helpful and could at least be worded better. I did not buy a Mac, would rather not have one, and I certainly would not throw away my money on one. This is, however, a provided machine that I am trying to get working with Linux so that I can better work on Linux systems ( I am a systems engineer and all of the automation tools that I use work better on Linux, and I want proper tiling). In 20 years I have seen hardware support improve tremendously with Linux and none of it would have ever happened with that attitude.

Sorry if my remark rubbed you the wrong way, but it's difficult to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. The reason your wifi is so poorly supported is because Broadcom won't spend any money on drivers that work properly on Linux. Apple deliberately selects hardware that is difficult to run Linux on with their products. Apple is the least Linux friendly hardware you can purchase.

So while you may not have had a choice in your hardware selection many others do. As general advice I stick by my comment. If you want to run Linux without major compatibility issues never buy Apple products.

I have helped hundreds of people get their wifi working on the forum and many of those I help are Apple/Broadcom users. The reason I've had to help so many broadcom users is because of Apples poor Linux compatibility.

This old saying also applies:

Better a penny of prevention than a pound of cure.

Better to warn people of the issues they will encounter if they buy Apple products than to deal with an endless stream of posts from people trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I feel for you that your employer forces Apple products on you because frankly I'm getting a little tired of wasting endless support time on Broadcom issues.

:slightly_smiling_face: I am with you on that one.

If the person is having problems with sound and WiFi with Manjaro Linux on their MacBook Pro, they might as well try Ubuntu MATE (Ubuntu MATE mentioned in the download section of their site that their OS is compatible with Apple machines).

I am not one for turning anyone away from Manjaro Linux.

Maybe, the user of the MacBook Pro could also search for Broadcom drivers via the Arch User Repository.

The forefront of the conversation happen here:

I agree entirely, and I am glad that you are there to help. I just hope that we can all be a bit more constructive with how we communicate. Trust me, I am the least politically correct dude going, I just want to be cautious about accidentally chasing off folks. I mean I am fine, but the person who reads it later may get turned off by it. I hear whispers that we may be getting Linux as an official option soon-ish though, so I am holding on to that glimmer of hope.

Forum kindly sponsored by