Manjaro 18, rufus

Hi!
Today I've done USB bootable with Manjaro KDE 18.0 using rufus 3.3. Rufus asked me if I want to download grub 2.03.1 files, beacuse that's the version which manjaro image is using and rufus adds instalation files only for 2.02. I cklicked yes, but later when I choosed from boot menu my bootable pendrive, I saw error and grub_rescue opend. So I tried clicking "no" in rufus (when clicking "no" rufus uses 2.02 files), but still the problem remains. I opend rufus_files folder (This folder should contain these downloaded files), it had other folder in it named "grub 2.03.1" (or only 2.03.1 without grub, i don't remember), but it was empty. I tried to find grub 2.03.1 files on internet, but all I found was 2.02, like there wasn't newest version.

With Manjaro you can only use rufus in 'dd' mode

Use etcher

1 Like

What is the problem, specifically?

What issue is this solving?

@Shrinivas17081997 I find quite annoying that you 'reply to my post' instead of 'replying to the topic' when is not needed. use the button highlighted in red thanks

Schermata%20del%202018-11-02%2019-56-49

1 Like

@jonathon
The problem is that I can't install Manjaro, beacuse it won't boot. There's an error with grub and grub_rescue shows.

@Shrinivas17081997
I tried Etcher. After doing a bootable USB, Etcher tried to check it and found that it's something wrong with it. And what I had was two partitions on pendrive, one had about 1,5MB, the second one was corrupted and there was many GB that didn't belong to any partition.

@Lolix
I'll try

I used Etcher, Used Rufus with DD mode too. But found that YUMI does a good job too for my PC. It does not partition the USB.

YUMI

Edit:
YUMI rename the drive "MULTIBOOT" and create a folder "multiboot". The whole bootable system is there.
Also created a new folder on my USB "Personal Folder" with some files there.
LiveUSB is booting fine. i am writing from it.

You can use Rufus (on windows), it will ask you to make it bootable, just say yes.
If you want to do it within a Linux environment, get OpenSUSE writer, it works superbly.

FAT32 is the way

With Rufus, you need to select DD mode, not to partition, not to install grub:

1 Like

DD mode works, thank you all

3 Likes

YUMI is fine to create multi-live-ISO USBs. I have several distros on my USB to try them on. I can install non Arch-based distros with YUMI but Manjaro always fails to install. I use rufus on Windows (dd mode) for Manjaro ISOs instead. Tried Etcher before, it worked but I don't like it.

@Qbsoon After installation, you can reformat your USB with rufus to get back the GBs. Don't choose any ISOs, just format the USB. Cheers!

I formated using diskpart

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by