Manjaro 19.0 released (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Architect)

2020_r19c

Manjaro 19.0

We are happy to publish another stable release of Manjaro Linux, named Kyria.

The Xfce edition remains our flagship offering and has received the attention it deserves. Only a few can claim to offer such a polished, integrated and leading-edge Xfce experience. With this release we ship Xfce 4.14 and have mostly focused on polishing the user experience with the desktop and window manager. Also we have switched to a new theme called Matcha. A new feature Display-Profiles allows you to store one or more profiles for your preferred display configuration. We also have implemented auto-application of profiles when new displays are connected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t73ChYmcQ6o

Our KDE edition provides the powerful, mature and feature-rich Plasma 5.17 desktop environment with a unique look-and-feel, which we completely re-designed for this release. The full set of Breath2-themes includes light and dark versions, animated splash-screen, Konsole profiles, Yakuake skins and many more little details. We have rounded off text editor Kate with some additional color schemes and offer Plasma-Simplemenu as an alternative to the traditional Kickoff-Launcher. With a wide selection of latest KDE-Apps 19.12.2 and other applications Manjaro-KDE aims to be a versatile and elegant environment ready for all your everyday needs.

In Gnome edition which is based on version 3.34 series, we also have included a visual refresh for several applications and the desktop itself. The background selection settings also received a redesign, making it easier to select custom backgrounds. By default we added our own dynamic wallpaper that changes throughout the day. GNOME 3.34 also introduces custom folders in the application overview: Simply drag an application icon on top of another to create a folder. Folders are automatically removed again when all icons have been dragged out. With a simpler desktop layout we gain more stability. Our new Gnome-Layout-Switcher enables you to change your desktop layout easily with preset layouts mimicking popular operating systems. Available layouts are: Manjaro, Vanilla Gnome, Mate/Gnome2, Traditional Desktop/Windows, Modern Desktop/MacOs, Unity/Ubuntu Theme. We also automatically change between dark and light theme when Nightlight is triggered. A new theme for the login screen and the addition of Feral's Gamemode round up our Gnome edition.

Kernel 5.4 LTS is used for this release, such as the latest drivers available to date. Relative to the last installation media release, our tools have been improved and polished.

Pamac 9.3 series received a few updates. With a more robust and reliable transaction backend our update process should be much smoother now. Also we improved package sorting by relevance in our GTK-UI. Enhancing our package management we have enabled snap and flatpak support by default. You can now install snaps or flatpaks very easily, with our new tool Bauh and make use of a larger selection of the latest Linux applications.

We hope you enjoy this release and let us know what you think of Kyria.

55 Likes

Woohoo! :tada:

Even though I don't need a new ISO, I'll download the latest Kyria for future use. :smiley:

Absolutely love the new design!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for making Manjaro available to us!

But one question: is the current ISO going to be replaced yet?

19.0 vs 19.0.1 :thinking:

Thanks Manjaro team for working on this great distro :slight_smile:
Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thunderbirds are Go! KTorrent up and running quite happily here spreading the :cd: :green_heart:

When it's ready (could be weeks away), it is common practice to start working on the next ISO as soon as the release is out. Installing from 19.0.0 and updating will keep you current anyway.

You never need to reinstall a working system, manjaro is a rolling release. It's not like others that need a step upgrade or clean install every 6 or 12 months.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that. :blush:

@philm The GNOME download links are still pointing to 18.1.5.

1 Like

Congrats!

Here you can find the german news from Heise about the release.
A english version will follow.

2 Likes

Awesome!! Installing now in virtualbox!

Great job team! I took a look at all three and they are fantastic. I do have some observations on the GNOME layout switcher that I need to post somewhere.

even after -Syyu, i still have packages that are -19, alongside normal manjaro packages, when will these be merged?

Jut installed Gnome (Manjaro 19). . . works great. . .smooth, it only gets better with time with you guys. . . .keep up the excellent work on this 'Great' Distro.

rich :wink:

I don't think that's accurate. I installed Manjaro in 2017, and kept updating since then. Some of the packages I'm still using (e.g. Octopi) have been replaced with others, but I'm still receiving updates for the older ones. They won't get uninstalled by an update, nor will I get the software that did not originally ship with my installation, but were added in subsequent ISOs.

Really? It is not that cool I was thinking that every new package gets to every Manjaro installation.....

it depends how pedantic you want to be about this (changes from 19.0 to 19.0.1 will most likely be kernels, mesa, Qt Framework and Plasma related e.g. 5.17.5 to 5.18.x and nothing that revolutionary), you can find out what packages have changed and decide for yourself which to add or remove from the pre-release threads normally. However, it would help if these details were included in the first post above or at least linked to though.

your system won't suddenly stop working or stop receiving updates because of an abandoned manjaro release unless you left it way too long between updates. You will always be notified on the forum or website news section of changes to key packages anyway. package changes are not enforced on anyone, so it is up to you to keep up to date and decide what you want to do.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Some recent update broke VLC open files from Samba share

That is correct - you don't want a system which changes your package selection without your knowledge.

Theming changes cannot be applied unattended - what if you have had used many hours tweaking your desktop - just to have is spoiled by an update?

You would be extremely annoyed and you would be venting online. So than the Manjaro devs - they are not forcing changes down your throat.

It am fairly confident that such changes - will never happen in an automated manner.

5 Likes

This is a point I frequently make. In a rolling release, if you update, then the packages you have installed will be up-to-date with your mirror. Nothing more, and nothing less. What newbies might think when they read that is that an up-to-date installation is exactly the same as the latest ISO, freshly installed. And no, it is not.

For example, if you read all the release announcements you might learn that:

• A package was removed because it becomes problematic. For example: Plymouth was removed from new ISOs, and you had to manually remove it for your installation to boot the same way as an installation from a newer ISO.
  • A package was could be replaced with a different one performing much the same function. So, for example, on the Manjaro KDE edition, newer ISOs replaced Octopi with pamac. Unless you manually removed Octopi and installed pamac, you would be using a different front-end to your package manager.
  • A package was added, for example ms-office-online You would never get it unless you manually added it.
  • A package could be 'demoted' to the AUR. For example, openssl-1.0 was used with steam. but dropped from the Manjaro repos. You can list your AUR packages with: $ pacman -Qm And remove the ones you do not want. But if you do not, you will have AUR packages that would not be on a freshly-installed Manjaro.
  • Packages can become orphans. You can remove them with $ sudo pacman -Rsn $(pacman -Qqdt)
  • Configuration files may change. Most changes are harmless to most users, but users should know how to manage pacnew and pacsave files.
  • Default permissions can change over time. For example: Directory permissions differ on /var/lib/samba/private/ filesystem: 755 package: 700 So, you are advised to change them with: $ sudo chmod 700 /var/lib/samba/private/
  • The default kernel can get upgraded. In my case, I have been happily running 4.19 for years, but to match a freshly-installed Manjaro running 5.x, I would need to use Manjaro Settings Manager or the terminal equivalents.

Now, with manual effort, none of these are impossible, but it is important to be clear to newbies that, wth a rolling release, if you set it and forget it, your packages get upgraded, but your system will not match a fresh installation.

20 Likes

sudo pacman -Syyu shows only one update of pacman-mirrors
i did that then i ran sudo pacman-mirrror -f 0
now sudo pacman -Syyu says there is nothing to do...
so only pacman-mirror pkg updated in this update???

It wasn't an update, it was an ISO release. If you're up to date as you seem to be, you already have it. :wink:

$ lsb_release -a | grep Release
Release:	19.0

Forum kindly sponsored by