Manjaro Architect Part ???: XFCE Edition.

Followed @bogdancovaciu's advice HERE and did a fresh install ... using Architect-Installer. 10/10 M-A will crap the bed, today was no different.

• GRUB "cannot stat/EFI/manjaro/grubx64.efi"

• This error is followed by a lie: "... Installed Succeessfully".
    • Caused an unbootable system. Had to chroot and reinstall GRUB.
  • M-A offers XFCE in two flavors: full or minimal. Neither option involves XFCE 4.13.

• KDE or XFCE, minimal installs result in different configurations compared to their respective individually-released counterparts.
      • I.e. M-A minimal offerings must produce installations identical to KDE/XFCE Minimal 18.0.4.iso.
    • Old XFCE 4.12 cannot update to XFCE 4.13, when it should since it's been default for some time.
  • Still can't exit M-A's chroot properly.

• 1 & 2 said hi.

• XFCE 4.12 boots! Great! Can't launch any program? Not so nice.

• cannot open display. Terminal opened once then gave same error on next launch. :laughing:
    • Followed steps HERE, again, from tty2 since terminal emulators were MIA. Nope. :pleading_face:

Manjaro should skip GRUB menu presentation. Anyone who needs to access the menu already knows how to get there.

Now to leave this Manjaro live session and reinstall not a ■■■■■■■ thing since everything's ■■■■■■ . :relieved:

There was a discussion about it some time ago.

Indeed, architect-18.0.2-stable offers the xfwm4 (based on gtk2) and not the xfwm4-gtk3 - is intentional and known nonissue. :slight_smile:

Since i can only test on VBox, the install went quick and painless, and applications launch.
Have you saved the install log so someone can have a look at it?

Installed using Architect Launcher in KDE Edition 18.0.4.

Did you one better too: Architect Launcher in XFCE Minimal 18.0.4 yields same results. Something is outdated in the installer itself.

You mean to tell me this bug is over a year old?

Unfortunately no, felt pretty defeated at that point and quit for a few hours. Retreating back to KDE, salty. :sob:

While i can agree is a good catch, there are a couple of things i usually don't do:

• use KDE Edition, XFCE Minimal or any other DE iso to make the install trough Architect from it
  • use Architect iso to install the complete DE, i use it as it would be an Arch Linux install (no DE, only base and kernel)

It was recommended by 2-3 devs before it was announced GRUB had no LUKS 2 support. From what I could gather, M-A is sort of isolated from whichever edition it's built-in to.

Ah well, surely someone who does will stop by. :grinning:

Setup was:

• FDE (including boot)
  • GRUB
  • kernel 4.19 with headers and acpi_call.
  • XFCE (Selected Minimal)
  • Additional packages test: mpv ffmpeg

Then everything in the main post followed.

Probably @Chrysostomus will pass by and address those points you made :slight_smile:
Or you can pass by this topic

Architect uses a special branch of the iso-profiles repo.

The reasoning behind is the architect profiles needs to stable.

The main profiles is used for development and may be unstable in the sense of missing or changed packages.

The architect profiles may sometimes include another set of packages while comparing with the ISO - just as you have spotted - but that is just how it is.

You may raise an issue in the gitlab repo requesting an update of the architect specific profiles - maybe specifying what you think needs to be changed.

1 Like

Thanks. @philm, can the master profiles be merged to the manjaro-architect branch? I don't maintain those profiles, so I can only catch gross misconfigurations. If you wish/expect me to maintain the official profiles for manjaro-architect I would like to know that. Currently I assume that iso maintainers keep their profiles up to date and only do corrections for nonexistent and misspelled packages.

I prefer the term false positive. Manjaro-architect has recently had problems with luks options, many of which got fixed in the last night's update. The current version is 0.9.24. If you have more data on the bugs, I would like to know more about them to get them fixed. Could you provide more details about the disk layout? Was lvm involved?

Not the installer, but the installation profiles. Manjaro-architect downloads the iso profiles from the gitlab repo and installs based on that data.

Yes, the iso is not used as an installation source and the installer should be updated at runtime.

1 Like

"Main" profiles from stable releases are already stable. M-A iso-profiles are outdated, nothing to do with special use cases.

That is the proper term, my bad.

Was asked for my decryption password twice 11 hours ago.

• KDE Minimal reinstall using M-A.
  • LVM was involved = 2 LV's: /(16G) + /home/ (rest of disk) for a total of 1TB NVMe.
    • Mounted LUKS, did a format of / LV, mounted /home (unformatted).
    • Mounted /boot/efi (encrypted boot), installed bootloader.
      • Did not receive "cannot stat / EFI / manjaro / grubx64.efi".
  • Proceeded with installation (Kernel, modules, de, additional programs, etc).
  • Boot, followed by 2 LUKS prompts.
    • Logged-in, arrived at desktop; could not launch anything. Back to live Manjaro.

At least it's not a bug. :sweat_smile:

Yep. Updated to 0.9.24.

I am ready, tell me what to do and I will do it. Help me help you produce as much necessary data. Not giving up just yet Lol.

EDIT: Also, @Chrysostomus could you please let me know when the profiles are synced?

I'll look into it as soon as I can. I'll post in this thread about updates.

2 Likes

Got it! Thank you.

EDIT: Not to be a pain in the ass @Chrysostomus , but is there a temporary workaround I can use while you get around to business? E.g. point M-A somewhere else or copy/paste profiles myself.

This where the hopefully correct iso-profiles are

And this is where they are needed to be.

The simplest workaround might be to make manjaro-architect use the master branch. After downloading the latest installer, edit /usr/lib/manjaro-architect/until-base.sh in the line 25. Remove the -b manjaro-architect from the git clone command. This makes manjaro-architect use the master branch. Then, instead of sudo setup, run sudo manjaro-architect

If you do this, please report the results, because at the moment I cannot know for sure if the master branch is up to date either, or have the isos been built with some local branch.

You got it.

1 Like

Okay, I did a massive update on iso-profiles. At least the official editions should now be up to date.I hope I did not mess up any profiles

3 Likes

I’ll download a fresh iso and install tonight and let you know :grinning:

1 Like

Okay, I'm now doing an test installation with full disk encryption to see if I can replicate the bugs...

You see, things get fixed when issues are reported constructively. :wink:

Keep it up. We'll make a Manjaroo of you yet. :laughing:

2 Likes

Followed initial instructions, everything went OK.

Here's a (potential) bug:

GRUB's "cannot stat" is triggered by entering incorrect passphrase in Bootloader step. Will double check on my next install later today.

XFCE Minimal install using M-A 0.9.24 (with /lib/manjaro-architect/util-base.sh edit):

• Kernel 4.19.32
  • FDE w/ encrypted boot mounted to /boot/efi
  • 2 LV's: "/" 16G + "/boot" 512M + "/home" rest of disk = 1TB total.
  • Bootloader: GRUB
  • Branch: Stable
  • Additional programs test: Palemoon, MPV, ttf-inconsolatta
  • FSTAB: PARTUUID

NOTES:

1. Desktop screen flickers post log-in.
  2. Incorrect icon pack was set.
  3. Iranian server "https://repo.sadjad.ac.ir/manjaro" hangs during mirror ranking test.
  4. error: diskfilter writes are not supported.
    Press any key to continue... immediately after GRUB menu cameo.

@Chrysostomus, should I do another install using the upgraded iso-profiles? Would the edit still apply?

Why does LUKS insist on making my boot sequence 30+ seconds? Over 1 Million iterations according to luksDump.

I am rooting for you! Made sure to be detailed regarding each bug, per individual post. Let me know if I can be of more service; really want them to let M-A be. :grin:

Forum kindly sponsored by