Manjaro ARM 19.12 released!

Manjaro ARM 19.12 released!

We are proud to announce the release of Manjaro ARM 19.12!
With this release we are proud to introduce the Pinebook Pro into our main images.

Currently we do download images for: Raspberry Pi 4, Rock Pi 4, RockPro64 and the Pinebook Pro.

eMMC flash image for Pinebooks

It's an image for supported laptops designed to flash Manjaro ARM to the built-in eMMC module, so you don't have to fiddle with DD and/or take out the eMMc module yourself.
Right now images for the Pinebook and Pinebook Pro are available in the download folders linked below, but will be named emmc-installer in addition to the regular filename.
These images will be available shortly after regular images release.

To use these images:

1. Download the eMMC Installer image of your choice.
  2. Flash it to an SD card.
  3. Boot the SD card on the device.
  4. When the Manjaro logo has been present for about 15 seconds, press ESC (this is a bug, we know).
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen.

OEM Setup

This release sports the OEM setup for all images, also via SSH. This means that at first boot, you will be asked about the following:

• keyboard layout (except on pinebook, that is fixed to us layout)
  • username
  • additional user groups
  • full name
  • password for that username
  • password for root
  • timezone
  • locale
  • hostname

Then the setup script will set these settings and reboot to the login screen.

Screenshots

XFCE
X-xfce-idle

KDE Plasma
X-idle-kde

Downloads:

Torrents are also available!

Features:

• New packages from upstream and Manjaro ARM.
  • OEM setup now sets keyboard layout first and enables it during the rest of the setup.
  • XFCE 4.14
  • KDE Plasma 5.17
  • All images now support headless setup. Connect with ssh root@<ip> and you should see the OEM setup.
  • Added Pinebook Pro images.
  • Most devices now use the in-kernel bootsplash.
  • Ordoid N2 now uses mainline kernel.

Updating from 19.10:

• Old releases should just keep on rolling.
  • If you want the 19.10 experience, we recommend re-installing the system.
  • To enable bootsplash on your updated system, install bootsplash-theme-manjaro and bootsplash-systemd, then enable bootsplash-hide-when-booted.service and bootsplash-show-on-shutdown.service, then reboot.

Known issues:

• No audio cards on Odroid-C2, Rock64 and Khadas Vim3.
  • Wireless is not working on the Khadas Vim 3.
  • Wireless is very unstable on the Rock Pi 4. You can install the linux-pinebookpro instead to fix this (they are basically the same hardware).
  • Bootsplash does not work on Raspberry Pi devices. Bootsplash also seems to hide the OEM setup on XFCE images and the eMMC flasher images. To access it, power on device, wait for 30 seconds, then press ESC.
  • Suspend does not work on the Pinebook Pro.
  • Sound gets output to both Speaker and headphones at the same time on Pinebook Pro.

Supported Devices:

• Raspberry Pi 4 (tested on B)
  • Rock Pi 4
  • Pinebook Pro
  • RockPro64

With Manjaro ARM Installer:

• Raspberry Pi 3 (tested on B)
  • Pinebook
  • Odroid C2
  • Odroid N2
  • Rock64
  • Khadas Vim 3
  • Khadas Vim 2 (new addition) (not tested)
  • Khadas Vim 1 (new addition) (not tested)
  • Pine64-LTS / Sopine (tested on Pine64-LTS board)

What about other devices?

Manjaro ARM no longer supports the armv7h architecture. So if you have/use an armv7h device, you should be looking at other distro's. Some could be:

• Arch Linux ARM
  • Armbian
  • Raspbian (for the raspberrypi)
  • Ubuntu Mate
  • Parabola

The armv7h repo has been removed from the repo server and mirrors.

I won't be making images for all the supported devices. If your desired image for your desired supported device does not exist, please use manjaro-arm-installer to install it to an SD/eMMC card.

We are working on images for the PineTab and PinePhone. But getting the touch interface, rotation and sensors working correctly is proving troublesome.
We already started releasing Alpha images for the PinePhone.

Donation

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.

16 Likes

I am running preview 4 on my pinebook pro. Will a simple pacman -Syu allow me to upgrade to Manjaro ARM 19.12?

Thank you for all your work!!

Nice! Now all I need is Pine64 to ship my PBP :grin:

Yeah. Hasn't really been any setup changes for the Pinebook Pro since Preview4, so doing updates would get you at about same stage. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone else got problems using the external display switcher on KDE on the Pinebook Pro? Whatever I select, the laptop remains in mirrored display mode.

In the Preview 4 thread for the Pienbook Pro, @josmo noted the same issue.
Thanks to @Darksky we got to find out that it has something to do with fbturbo. If you use Panfrost this won't be a problem.

There are a few threads for Raspberry Pi where people have directly modified 99-fbturbo.conf - I didn't manage to find the right combo there for my setup :smiley: This approach could be the duck-taping over something else but going further is beyound my abilities.

I asked mrfixit if he ever encountered such problem on his Debian Mate build (true - completely drifferent drivers and kernel) but this was never an issue there.

2 Likes

Hi,

I'll test the 19.12 this week-end on the n2.

I found no solution for the current bug with kde...
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/odroid-n2-manjaro-arm-19-10-kde/114161

have a good day.

Hey @Strit

Booted Manjaro ARM 19.12 on a Rock Pi 4 successfully. One issue found: NetworkManager service was disabled by default. Enabled it manually:

$ sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-dispatcher.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/NetworkManager-wait-online.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service.

Wired network worked after that.

Was not able to connect to wireless network though. On installing linux-pinebookpro as stated in your OP (linux-aarch64 got removed) and rebooting, wireless network also worked.

Thanks!

Bluetooth doesn't work on the pbp, in the preview it did

... bluetooth.service was disabled by default, had to enable it

What edition?

Is it possible that the issue that the sound outputs both to the internal speakers and the earphones on the Pinebook Pro is still present? I have upgraded from Preview4 is that matters.

1 Like

the XFCE edition

the pinebook pro links are broken

2 Likes

Hi, i'm using the pinebook pro, I would like to know if you are going to publish the i3 image for this version ?

Xfce edition.

Yes. That issue is still present.

I just downloaded both KDE Plasma and XFCE edition for the Pinebook Pro from the website without issues.

It depends on the demand. :slight_smile: You can make it yourself in the meantime with Manjaro ARM Installer.
PS: The i3 edition has not been tested on the Pinebook Pro.

Fixed stupid mistake of wrong link to the Pinebook Pro images.
Sorry about that.

3 Likes

Sway works really well on the Pinebook Pro. If you want to try out Panfrost, that's among the best options.
You can give it a shot if you want tiling manager.

I'm not as used to them so for now I've stuck with Wayfire and KDE for now.

Following up on what @Pak0st said, I've made an install script for SwayWM with my dotfiles. All you need is the minimal install of Manjaro ARM + an internet connection, then run my script and you'll be set.

manjaro-arm-sway

https://github.com/andrevallestero/masars

6 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by