Manjaro ARM 20.02 released!

Hi,

Thanks for your message, I tried to build an image for the n2 ...

See below

[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ sudo buildarmoem -d on2 -e kde-plasma -v 20.02 -n
[sudo] Mot de passe de nicolas : 
==> Creating OEM image of kde-plasma for on2...
  -> Downloading latest aarch64 rootfs...
Manjaro-ARM-aarch64-latest 100%[========================================>] 180,91M   786KB/s    ds 3m 39s  
  -> Extracting aarch64 rootfs...
  -> Setting up keyrings...
==> Installing packages for kde-plasma edition on on2...
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from www.uex.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update core (failed to retrieve some files)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from www.uex.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update extra (failed to retrieve some files)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from www.uex.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update community (failed to retrieve some files)
error: failed to synchronize all databases
  -> Enabling services...
  -> Applying overlay for kde-plasma edition...
  -> Setting up system settings...
Enabling SSH login for root user for headless setup...
sed: impossible de lire /var/lib/manjaro-arm-tools/img/rootfs_aarch64/etc/ssh/sshd_config: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
sed: impossible de lire /var/lib/manjaro-arm-tools/img/rootfs_aarch64/etc/ssh/sshd_config: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
Enabling autologin for OEM setup...
Correcting permissions from overlay...
chown: impossible d'accéder à '/var/lib/manjaro-arm-tools/img/rootfs_aarch64/etc/polkit-1/rules.d': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
  -> Doing device specific setups for on2...
  -> Cleaning rootfs for unwanted files...
==> on2 kde-plasma rootfs complete
==> Finishing image for on2 kde-plasma edition...
  -> Copying files to image...
mv: impossible d'évaluer '/var/lib/manjaro-arm-tools/tmp/root/boot/*': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
  -> Compressing Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-on2-20.02.img...
Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-on2-20.02.img (1/1)
  100 %       123,7 MiB / 905,0 MiB = 0,137    18 MiB/s       0:48             
  -> Removing rootfs_aarch64
==> Time : 6.98 minutes...
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ sudo buildarmoem -d on2 -e kde-plasma -v 20.02 -n
[sudo] Mot de passe de nicolas : 
==> Creating OEM image of kde-plasma for on2...
  -> Downloading latest aarch64 rootfs...
Manjaro-ARM-aarch64-latest 100%[========================================>] 180,91M   985KB/s    ds 3m 41s  
  -> Extracting aarch64 rootfs...
  -> Setting up keyrings...
==> Installing packages for kde-plasma edition on on2...
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from www.uex.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update core (failed to retrieve some files)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from www.uex.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update extra (failed to retrieve some files)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from www.uex.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update community (failed to retrieve some files)
error: failed to synchronize all databases
  -> Enabling services...
  -> Applying overlay for kde-plasma edition...
  -> Setting up system settings...
Enabling SSH login for root user for headless setup...
Enabling autologin for OEM setup...
Correcting permissions from overlay...
chown: impossible d'accéder à '/var/lib/manjaro-arm-tools/img/rootfs_aarch64/etc/polkit-1/rules.d': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
  -> Doing device specific setups for on2...
  -> Cleaning rootfs for unwanted files...
==> on2 kde-plasma rootfs complete
==> Finishing image for on2 kde-plasma edition...
  -> Copying files to image...
mv: impossible d'évaluer '/var/lib/manjaro-arm-tools/tmp/root/boot/*': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
  -> Compressing Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-on2-20.02.img...
Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-on2-20.02.img (1/1)
  100 %       123,7 MiB / 905,0 MiB = 0,137    19 MiB/s       0:48             
  -> Removing rootfs_aarch64
==> Time : 6.40 minutes...
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ 

You are still using old tools.

You need to update to at least version 2.8.0 (which was released a week ago).

Please read the notice at the bottom of that page.

Thanks for the hard work, everyone.

What does this mean?

If you want the 20.02 experience, we recommend re-installing the system.

That sounds like a clean install. What am I missing from the "full experience" by just doing an update?

It does mean a clean install.

We changed a lot of settings in this release, mostly regarding theming and hardware acceleration.
But it's also to not have to deal with the mirror problems on an old install.

2 Likes

Hi, when I start pamac, desktop rebooted. Sorry I am new Linux user.

:+1:Welcome to Manjaro!:+1:

Please read this:

and post some more information here if you're using the ARM version and here if you're using a regular laptop or PC.

:wink: :+1: :innocent:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you're using, which CPU/GPU you have, ...

1 Like

OK, downloaded and installed the KDE plasma image for the RockPro64.
The setup wizard (userame, password, etc) worked fine.
Reboot, screen stays blank. Ctrl Alt F2 showed a login prompt.
Logged in, went ok, reboot.
Now I see the KDE login. Looking good!
Log in, OK. Sound works, Panfrost seems to work, somewhat smoothly but not quite.
With KSysGuard I see only 4 cores running?? There should be 6, the RockPro64 has 6.
I figure, OK, let's boot again.
Stays black, Ctrl Alt F2, login in text, reboot...
KDE login loads, looks good.
KDE desktop loads, then I get a Plasma crash, it logs me out.
Repeat and same result.

So, got my ayufan image with ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.4, and really get 6 cores and a stable KDE 5.12.
I'll give Manjaro 20.02 another go tomorrow, maybe a broken SD card, or the image got corrupted or some other fault somewhere.
But I figure I post my first results for other RockPro64 users.

Can you check htop. Just to see if it report all the cores.

Can you share output from sudo journalctl, will be helpful in understanding why plasma is crashing.

I don't have Rockpro64 so i cannot replicated this issue but someone will try to help you with it.

Well, I rebooted back into Manjaro, and now it shows 6 cores. Both in ksysguard and in htop. I couldn't easily install htop (it isn't installed by default) because opening the software center (add/remove software) crashes plasma, consistently. So installed it using the command line.

Oh, this time the crash is with a popup, with SDDM in a window?? It has a window decoration! :slight_smile:
Says: We are sorry, kwin_x11 closed unexpectedly.
Segmentation fault. (Says PID 1457 executable kwin_x11).

So, sudo journalctl shows A LOT of text.
Most recently in red: sddm-greeter of user 974 dumped core. With two stack traces
On the first:
#0 rockchip_dri.so .. #1 rockhip_dri.so .... #27 libc.so.6

The second: #0 is pthread_cond_wait@@GLIBC libpthread.so.0 ... #1 libQtCore.so.5 ... #21 _start sddm-greeter

I get some orange kwin_x11 BadWindow messages on qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error 3. Quite a few of those. And one error 9 Bad Drawable.

I get a systemd coredump on Process 1312 (Xorg). #0 libc.so.6 and Process 1669 (kactivitymanage)

I get a lot, I'm thinking a bad flash, or a bad card orsomething. The SD card is known to be OK, but ... well, a lot is going wrong.

Yeah, time to go to bed. Will download the image and burn the image to another SD card tomorrow.

Am using Kernel 5.5.0-3.1-Manjaro ARM, which was the kernel that came with the image.
Well, when it did run (on 4 cores) it looked pretty nice! The new theme has some smooth animations/transitions and all, but yeah, not much luck other than that.

I'm missing the images for rpi4 minimal

Thanks!

That's not so bad at this point. I haven't done too much to the install yet.

Are major (19.x, 20.x, etc.) releases always recommended for clean installs, or is this unusual?

EDIT (2020 02 24 2031 US Central Time):
After clean install, logging in via SSH with headless system, LightDM fails to load: Xorg not starting automatically.

The method here still fixes this in a couple of minutes: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Manual_configuration

Or, you can use one of these (or a competing product): https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF

They won't be coming.
You can create it yourself with the Manjaro ARM Installer.

Not really. The release number is just the YY.MM of the release, so it has nothing to do with major and minor release numbers.

Yeah. I tested the headless install suggestion we got, but it was keeping SDDM from launching at all.
So it was a "no-go".

Recently upgraded from Raspbian on my Pi 4B and I gotta say that Manjaro is 10x better imho. I have no clue what all the command line stuff does but the stable/unstable command in the release notes seemed to fix a bunch of issues with my initial install.

1 Like

How odd. Is SDDM something that runs by default on non-KDE Manjaro? I saw that LightDM was (trying to) start automatically on my machine and (after figuring out the difference between the X Server, the Window Manager, and the Desktop Environment) assumed only one DM was installed by default.

Then again, I also appear to have Wayland installed by default, so there's probably more default variety than I imagined.

Yeah.
LighDM is running on XFCE and MATE installs.
SDDM is running on the others.

But the headless thing was something that was to be used on all editions, if we where to implement it.
So we tested it and it did not work on editions with SDDM.

Wayland is installed by default on all editions. As it's a dependency of xorg-server 1.20.

1 Like

Yeah, so, tried again with 20.02, KDE on the RockPro64.
Setup wizard goes alright. Reboot to black screen.
Ctrl Alt F2 to login in text. Htop shows 6 cores. Reboot, get to SDDM login.
Login, got 6 cores (improvement)
Open "add/remove software" KDE crashes back to SDDM.
Rinse and repeat, consistently.
Will try flashing the image to another SD card from another PC tonight.

I've tested the KDE image on both the Pinebook Pro and the Rock Pi 4 (which is essentially the same hardware as the rockpro64) and it boots fine for me.

So not really sure what the issue is here.

What happens if you edit the /etc/environment file and comment out the only line active in it and reboot?

The only line in there about QT backend set to software, it already was commented out.
I uncommented it. Reboot. Now I got 4 cores again. Open Add/remove software. Crashes back to SDDM.
Well, it is probably just me. I'll redownload, get another SD card, reflash and try again tonight. Off to work.

I found the issue.

Please revert any changes you made and then install mesa-git.
Pamac is the only application we have found which does not launch with regular mesa on panfrost driver.
If you find more, please let us know.

Any special reason why you don't provide the minimal? I find them really useful.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by