Manjaro ARM Alpha1 for PinePhone!

Manjaro ARM Alpha1 for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce the first ALPHA release for the PinePhone!

This image are running the 5.3 kernel from gitlab.com/pine64-org/linux, which is designed for the PinePhone and PineTab devices.

IMG_20191203_205322

Download:
Plasma Mobile

Features:

Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn it to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The Pinephone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: manjaro

User: root
Password: root

Known Issues:

• Lots of stuff do not work yet!
  • Phone calls and texting does not work.
  • Does not have power saving options.
  • Battery Charging does not work.
  • No notification bar
  • Screen is not scaled correctly.
  • etc, etc. really, the list goes on...

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.

24 Likes

Great work @Strit!

1 Like

Nice, can I try this on a VM?

1 Like

If you can make an aarch64 based VM, I think you can. But it is meant for the phone.

Desire to buy a PinePhone intensifies...

4 Likes

This is awesome!

If anyone here is getting a braveheart, and decides to give Phosh a try, please share! I'm interested in running Manjaro+Phosh on the Tab when we get it. (I noticed when it was first mentioned that Manjaro for PinePhone still needed a UI, that there's a more complete Phosh than Plasma in the AUR.)

Well, I have Manjaro installed in Termux via Andronix. Just for fun, I installed the plasma-mobile group and tried starting the desktop as suggested in the Plasma Mobile Docs. I used export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=vnc instead and got:

[root@localhost ~]# export $(dbus-launch)
[root@localhost ~]# exec /usr/bin/plasmashell -p org.kde.plasma.phone
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
org.kde.kwindowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin
Error: could not determine $DISPLAY.
QVncServer could not connect: "The bound address is already in use"
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.2'
Invalid home screen package
mprotect failed in ExecutableAllocator::makeExecutable: Permission denied
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
sock_file=/tmp/runtime-root/
Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell directly
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = plasmashell path = /usr/bin pid = 6041
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/plasmashell -p org.kde.plasma.phone
proot info: vpid 1: terminated with signal 11
org.kde.kwindowsystem: Could not find any platform plugin
QVncServer could not connect: "The bound address is already in use"
Invalid home screen package
mprotect failed in ExecutableAllocator::makeExecutable: Permission denied

I didn't really expect it to work, but figured it was worth a shot. Maybe the Andronix folks will figure it out.

This is amazing! You guys are awesome!

Great work!

Is it possible to get a quick overview Video of the look and feel? I couldn't find any media about Manjaro ARM on Pinephone. I would really appreciate it.

Where is the donation link to Arch Linux ARM?

https://archlinuxarm.org/about/donate

4 Likes

Fair enough. 10 bucks for the Arch ARM team and 10 for the Manjaro ARM team.

:grinning:
YEAH !

Just saw this. Instantly contributed as much as I can. Manjaro in my pocket would solve a lot of conundrums I have with the current mobile market.

I would volunteer to help with technical efforts as well, but I'm a junior engineer at best for now :disappointed:

Thank you for taking interest in Manjaro ARM. You don't have to be programmer or High level engineer to contribute to the Project.

Anybody can help us with testing and reporting bugs, Documentation of the process and steps for new users to follow is a big help for the team too.

Cheers.

All related to KDE development can be found on our buildserver. For the latest Plasma Mobile ISO for x64 go here.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is under the correct topic - I've purchased Pine64 (Brave Heart edition) - the smartphone.
Will Manjaro have support for this device as I'm looking forward to an Arch-based based system image for PinePhone.
.... and I'm not a software developer - just wish I had those skills.

I moved the post to the correct topic.
In the OP you can find our first alpha image for the PinePhone.

1 Like

Hey Strit,

Amazing that you guys (Manjaro ARM team) are also going to support this device. Huge thanks to you all for that!

Is there any place/repository where we can track development progress by any chance? I might be interested in contributing myself and would like to read up a bit first :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hello Dear,

We have gitlab here

Your contribution will be very helpful for Manjaro Team.

Hi,

6100 views, not bad !

Enjoy ! Linux phone !

Forum kindly sponsored by