Manjaro ARM Alpha2 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Manjaro ARM Alpha2 of Phosh for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our second ALPHA release for the PinePhone running Phosh with lot of package changes!

This image are running the 5.7 kernel from gitlab.com/pine64-org/linux, which is designed for the PinePhone.

Features:

• Auto-Rotate function (deactivated by default)
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • Added flashlight application
  • Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions added
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Geary Mail-Client in mobile version added
  • Maps with working GPS
  • Volume buttons working
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-unstable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf.
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot.

Currently broken:

• Camera worked during development cycle, currently gnome-camera doesn't start

Known issues

• gnome-usage only works as root user. Open a terminal, switch to root and start it
  • rotation in landscape might hinder to unlock the device when locked too fast
  • it may take longer to wake up from deep-sleep mode when a call is incoming. Most of the time that call will vibrate only.
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Lots of apps are still missing or is not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PinePhone Alpha2

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

11 Likes

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

Development Changelog

We will list our progress to Alpha3 here

• Alpha2 (2020-08-06) Download
  • Alpha2 (2020-08-07) Download
    • fix issue with pipewire to get gnome-camera working again
    • updated phoc, squeekboard and phosh
    • added patch to keep calls alive from suspending during a call
  • Alpha2 (2020-08-09) Download
    • added proper patch to keep calls alive from suspending during a call
    • updated chatty, epiphany, file-roller, fractal, lollypop, pamac-cli and systemd
4 Likes

It was questionned in the Alpha-1 thread:

Geary manages 2GB of IMAP mail here. If running it uses between 10-25% of CPU und 10-15% of RAM

smem -k | sed -e '1p' -e '/geary/!d' | grep -v sed
  PID User     Command                         Swap      USS      PSS      RSS 
166693 manjaro  /usr/bin/geary --gapplicati        0   241.2M   264.4M   340.0M 

1 Like

Convergence feels close! On this alpha my USB-C to HDMI gets detected by the kernel and I can output to it using wlr-randr. I played around with phoc.ini and got windows to appear on the monitor, however it was at the expense of the usability of the touch screen. I'll be interested to see how convergence is implemented in PostmarketOS.

@zash1958 @spikerguy
Phone calls work on this Alpha2 release on my Pinephone. Thought I'd let you know.

1 Like

Question 1: I have only had my pinephone for a little over a week, and I've tried using UBPorts Ubuntu Touch, Mobian and Manjaro ARM Alpha 1 and 2 so far. I found the out of the box behavior in Manjaro ARM Alpha 2 a little different from Mobian and UBPorts where I tried the same thing - using cellular data. In those other 2 distros, using cellular data works out of the box. In Manjaro ARM Alpha 2, I had to explicitly enable it in settings. Is this expected behaviour ?

Question 2: Shutdown Behavior - When I run "sudo shutdown now" on the terminal, the phone goes through the Manjaro logo screen with the spinner before turning off. However, if I try to use the Pinephone's power button, I get no such thing. Is the power button shutting down or directly powering off, and what is the recommended usage ?

When using the power button, there is no real indication that the phone is switched off besides the screen going black. This was also the behaviour when running Mobian from an SD Card. Is this expected ?

Calls are working in and out, SMS works, also Camera and GPS. Mobile data has to be activated after flashing. Later on stays active. Camera is very slow but takes snapshots.

Seems that I can test the phone next week as a "daily-driver-test-phone" :slight_smile:

My compliments and THANKS for the manjaro team!

3 Likes

Ok you have great Linux os on desktop, you have Manjaro laptop, now you have Manjaro phone and Manjaro tablet, next should be Manjaro sync services (storage, mail, calendar, tasks, notes to sync) and then some newer then 8 years old chips.
I know Canoncial failed here with its ubuntu one.

1 Like

Hello I am Long time manjaro user (gnome/xfce) as well as donator and have recently ordered a current pinephone CE 3gb version as of the 6th of this month. I have since just added to the patron fund for manjaro arm :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I am excited to head for a full release/final product

Keep up the great work

Anyil

1 Like

BIG step forward with Alpha-2

Battery lasts over the day in normally cirumstances. Incoming calls from deep sleep within ca. 10 seconds. Next week I will check the release as a daily driver

Yeah, this release is fantastic! By far the most stable and feature-rich release I've tried with my Braveheart edition Pinephone thus far:

• Battery life easily lasts 24 hours with wifi and without SIM/mobile network, that is just amazing!
  • Wifi connection is very stable for the first time for my Braveheart :slight_smile:
  • Updating and installing software through the GUI works very well!
  • Browsing the internet on your phone with full scale Firefox is just amazing. Scrolling through pages is much smoother than expected/before. Pages load relatively fast!

Of course, some quirks still remain but most of those are mostly related to OS not being fully mature yet, such as:

• Lots of applications (VLC player for example) do not correctly resize/maximize to correct phone screen dimensions
  • Screen rotation works (as in: phone determines/detects orientation correctly) but OS and/or applications often do not correctly resize/maximize to new screen orientation/dimensions. Very noticeable when watching a (Youtube) video in-browser, for example.

The overall experience is of course a bit slow and laggy, sometimes apps seem to crash or do not load at all, but it seems that patience is simply required at most times. But this makes lots of sense with such a relatively lightweight SOC and only 2GBs of RAM, seeing that it loads a full blown OS and modern browser with massive amounts of Javascript :wink:

All in all I'm very very impressed with how for development for this phone has come. Thanks so much Manjaro team for your hard work and putting together this distribution! :smile:

3 Likes

I agree to some extent. It would be great, if we had a way to sync those without "the cloud" and without paying some kind of subscription fee. Such fees are usually not affordable by most people in countries like India.

You mean pinephone pro with rk3399? :smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by