Manjaro ARM Alpha3 for PinePhone and PineTab

Manjaro ARM Alpha3 for PinePhone and PineTab!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce the third ALPHA release for the PinePhone and the PineTab!

This image are running the 5.4 kernel from gitlab.com/pine64-org/linux, which is designed for the PinePhone and PineTab devices.

Changes since Alpha2:

• Wifi is now able to connect and be used
  • Mobile broadband connections are now working (might need a reboot to work right) (PinePhone)
  • Phone application now works
  • Replaced Konsole with QMLKonsole for a more mobile friendly terminal
  • Filesystem now gets resized on first boot (which is why the first boot takes a while)
  • Sound now works

IMG_20191231_110346

Download:
Plasma Mobile for PinePhone
Plasma Mobile for PineTab

Features:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

PineTab:
The PINETAB is similar in both form, function and underlying ARM64 architecture to the original 11.6″ PINEBOOK. It is powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit Processor used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer. The optional keyboard and trackpad – which doubles-up as a screen cover – effectively converts the PineTab into a petite on-the-go laptop with a touch screen functionality. It runs numerous mainline Linux distributions as well as *BSDs and Android.

As a new open source platform, the PineTab development is an ongoing process and represents a great opportunity to get involved with computing on a different level, to customise and personalise the portable computer experience, to understand what is going on beneath the surface.

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone/PineTab should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: manjaro

User: root
password: root

Known Issues:

• Phone calls and texting does not work.
  • Phone app does not seem to load
  • Does not have power saving options, so brightness and turning off screen does not work.
  • Can't control Bluetooth from Settings.
  • Screen rotation does not work.
  • Some scaling is still not right on the PineTab.
  • Address book can not save contacts.

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

23 Likes

Great news. I do not plan on getting a PinePhone until all the kinks are worked out. I am looking forward to running Manjaro on my phone.

2 Likes

Awesome work strit and spikerguy! I'm glad you changed out for QMLkonsole! (It's insanely annoying retyping everything on the touchscreen!)

Since i got finally got wifi working in Alpha2 i was able to use SSH though, so it's less of a problem now. Thank you for the help in getting that working too.

Hopefully angelfish gets faster, as that's really my only major complaint still (for any distro, not just Manjaro).

2 Likes

great work you guys!

5 Likes

Congratulation !

hola

Enjoy !

Wow these are great improvements. Can't wait to use Manjaro on my Pinephone

I am a big fan of tablets, my family uses 4 iPads, old, new. I would like to know more about manjaro tablet, how powerful is it, how responsive the screen is, how is it compare to iPads? I do not mean iPad pro I mean ordinary iPads. Does anyone has experience with both? I would like to have Manjaro in tablet too but you know how android tablets are craps.

The Geekbench score of that cpu is about the same as iPhone5 from 2012, yeah one needs to see and feel how it performs but.....

Great job ! Almost useable, just missing firefox (GTK+ apps ?) inputs to popup keyboard.
Is anyone working on phosh, or should I try to build it by myself ?

Anyway, this is the most useable OS on pinephone braveheart by the time of writing.

That says alot really. But glad you think so. :slight_smile:

I would have thought that PostmarketOS or Ubuntu Touch would have been more usable by now. :slight_smile:

Well, that was my first thought, too, but no. You can get very quickly in a situation where UI does not respond correctly, if at all, in both pmOS and Ubuntu. Just, I did a pacman -Suy (yes, I love risk) and was not able to connect to wifi after reboot.

I would love to see the logs from that attempt though.

Be aware, that wifi does not automatically reconnect at boot. You have to open up Settings -> Wifi and it will start connecting again.

Settings->Wifi was empty. I'm trying again from the beginning. How can I ssh into the phone, if wifi is down ?

Oh and, which logs do you want ?

Very Nice work! keep it up using it has my main on my Pinebook . :slight_smile: it's really nice to use .

Have you tried the wifi on off button in settings > wifi? Wifi icon with x means wifi is on. Only wifi icon means wifi is off.

I hope this is the issue which is not turning the wifi on.

Also can you do ip addr just to see if the wlan is present?

..just out of curiosity .. this seems simple .. but ...

I have a friends laptop that just wont connect on login.
So I just have it automatically run nmcli networking on after 1 second .. and it works a charm.

Well, I can do nothing of all this, because I have redone the whole install since (as I tried some other OSes then came back to Manjaro), and now, it works :confused:, even after upgrade.

Sorry, no logs.

Good to hear that it works fine now.

Can you point me some docs on how to cross-build AUR packages for manjaro ARM on a x86_64 machine ?

The easiest method I can think of is to use Manjaro ARM Tools.
Link Here

The buildarmpkg will help make a QEMU directory and nspawn in to build package for aarch64.

Please go through it and let me know if you need any help with it.

These tools only work on Manjaro based distributions!

Arch here… :cry:
Ok, I'll dig my old drives to see if I can Manjaroize one of them. Thanks !

Forum kindly sponsored by