Manjaro Arm Pi4 Kernel 5.7 no bluetooth

I'm running the testing-release of Manjaro Arm on my Pi 4. Everything was working fine until I upgraded to kernel 7 with the latest Linux-Pi-Kernel. I can no longer see the builtin bluetooth adapter. Might this simply be a missing driver or something I need to flag in my config.txt?

Linux 5.7.3-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 17 13:20:14 CDT 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Same here :slight_smile:
Tried snooping around mailing lists and forums for the past couple of days but seems this is a fairly new thing.
One thing I've managed get back is the hci0 device, I've had to (re)start (enable it also, if disabled) the brcm43438.service that actually executes:

/usr/bin/btattach -B /dev/ttyAMA0 -P bcm -S 3000000

This service file is in the pi-bluetooth package which -- misleadingly -- advertises itself as something for the rPi 3...

But even though I now have the bluetooth device created:

$ ls -la /sys/class/bluetooth/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 0 2020-06-22 20:40:10 ./
drwxr-xr-x 62 root root 0 2020-06-21 21:48:01 ../
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 2020-06-22 20:40:10 hci0 -> ../../devices/platform/soc/fe201000.serial/tty/ttyAMA0/hci0/

I still can't get bluetoothd (from bluez) to recognize the adapter:

$ bluetoothctl show
No default controller available

Can you check if you have anything under /sys/class/bluetooth?
Also, do you have something like this in your /boot/config.txt:
enable_uart=0

And do you have something along these lines in your dmesg output?

Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x1001 tx timeout
Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Reading local version info failed (-110)

My ls -la /sys/class/bluetooth/ is the same as yours, so it would appear as though the device is there?

I also have the dmesg outputs you have.

So, interesting note about mybrcm43438.service I had to actually revert to your line from where I was. Did you by any chance notice that the pi-bluetooth package in AUR has a changelog " 2019-04-12 [Switch back to hciattach]"

During my poking around and trying and retrying I ended up with

ExecStart=/usr/bin/hciattach -n /dev/ttyAMA0 bcm43xx 921600 noflow -

Anyways, my brcm43438.servicewas failing due to that at the time. But anyways. No advancement, just notes.

I've downgraded to 5.4 and still had no BT device. The key has to be in the config.txt. enable_uart=0and enable_uart=1 won't boot. Is 'miniuart-bt' an option? The key must lie in the boot config in my mind as I can't get the device to even show up for the service to grab.

Interesting you say that you're using pi-bluetooth from AUR, as it's in the community repo as well:

community/pi-bluetooth 1-2 (61.7 KiB 130.0 KiB) (Installed)
    Services, firmware and udev rules to get integrated bluetooth running in Raspberry Pi 3

I'm using this, as this doesn't use hciattach, rather btattach in the service file -- which is from bluez-utils where hciattach has been deprecated for a while now. But I guess both could work in the same way.

I fail to see why there would be anything in /boot/config.txt that would affect this, as I didn't change anything in there before this broke. Did you change anything there that could be the culprit?

In any case the miniuart-bt overlay doesn't fix this, it seems.

Darsky commented on this on the testing branch post. Can verify, install the bootloader packages and Bluetooth now working fine on 5.7.3

I ended up doing a fresh install just to revert all the troubleshooting changes, please disregard the pi-bluetooth package concerns.

Package current links.
https://osmirror.org/manjaro/arm-unstable/core/aarch64/raspberrypi-bootloader-20200619-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

https://osmirror.org/manjaro/arm-unstable/core/aarch64/raspberrypi-bootloader-x-20200619-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

Very nice catch, thanks for the head-up!
All working now here, too!

Forum kindly sponsored by