Manjaro cannot see 256GB NVMe M.2 SSD

Title.

Right now, I am trying to install manjaro. I am on a Lenovo Legion Y740-17IRHg laptop, which has two disks: SATA 1TB HDD and a PCI Express NVMe M.2 SSD (which manjaro does not recognize). If you want the specifics, the HDD is a Seagate ST1000LM049-2GH172 and the SSD is a Samsung mzvlb256hbhq-000l2.

The computer came with Windows 10 (as every computer does these days) and it was installed on the SSD by default. The main boot partition is also on the SSD, meaning if Manjaro cannot see the SSD, it proboably won't boot.

This happens when installing - Neither KDE Partition Manager, Dolphin or Calamares can see the SSD. However, I proboably need to mark the boot partition on the SSD with a boot flag to actually get GRUB to install.

What can I do? How can I get Manjaro to see the actual SSD to get it to install? I am trying to install Manjaro KDE 20 Sylvia.

may you start the live system, open a terminal and post the output of 'lsblk'.

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0    7:0    0    17M  1 loop /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1    7:1    0 575.2M  1 loop /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2    7:2    0   1.7G  1 loop /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3    7:3    0 584.5M  1 loop /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0    16M  0 part 
└─sda2   8:2    0 931.5G  0 part 
sdb      8:16   1  14.5G  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   1   2.9G  0 part /run/miso/bootmnt
└─sdb2   8:18   1     4M  0 part

that's weird, because linux support nvme since kernel 3.3. is it a samsung ssd ?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive/NVMe

and the SSD is a samsung

yes.

Make sure the SATA controller is set to AHCI and not RAID. Disable also Fast Boot and Secure Boot if enabled/exists in the BIOS settings.

Secure boot is disabled, and I don't see a fast boot option. Also, there's no RAID option, rather an RST one. However, I heard that switching the controller to AHCI will make Windows unbootable, which is what I am actually trying to do here - Dualboot. Sorry I forgot to mention that in the post.

If you want to keep that Windows installation and Manjaro to work on RAID, you might have chances using Architect installer. Otherwise no.

How would I do it using architect then?

and if you want a more fancy install

The problem is: THE KERNEL CANNOT SEE THE DRIVE. Which means Architect won't be able to see it either.

Please don't get upset or take it personally for saying that you misunderstand a few things ...
Anyway, i'll let somebody else to take it from here and provide help.
Cheers!

Cheers! Sorry if I came off as a bit rude.

No worries, was not about rudeness ... but here some words from the Architect creator

I have no ideas to add than update the SSD and the motherboard firmware if they aren't already the newest version.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Newbie Corner - Manjaro Linux Forum

Arch Linux and Intel RST (“Fake RAID”) – Paul Marrapese – Medium

Intel RAID and Arch Linux – ironbay

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by