Manjaro crashes during gameplay

inxi -Fxz pastebin

While playing DOOM, Dark Souls III, and even an older, game like Borderlands 2, my entire system crashes (also crashes on native linux games like Half-Life 2). After waiting close to 5 minutes there was still no response, just a black screen. When the crash happens, the last half-second of audio heard repeats for about three to five seconds and a black screen. I need to power off the system using the power button and holding it down for 5 seconds. It boots normally.

I have tried a few suggestions found on this and other sites. One was to make a swapfile of 8GB which I've done. Another was to try different kernels, which all had the same problem (tried 4.4, 4.9, 4.19, and 5.4 ). I'm sure there was another suggestion but I don't remember what it was.

When playing DOOM, i monitored ram and cpu usage using 'htop' and 'xfce4 Task Manager'. htop showed the system using ~3.5G of ram (with 1, 2, 3, and 4 being at about 70-90%). In htop, the CPU% for DOOM was ~200 when in game, but reached to 300 (i dont know if that is normal or a bug in htop). In Task Manager, the CPU% for DOOM was ~80-85%

I used "journalctl -p 3 -xb" as suggested by another topic to see if there were errors. This was the output.

All games i have played run perfectly until the unexpected crash. In DOOM, Borderlands 2, and Half-Life 2 the crash happens randomly, sometimes thirty minutes in, other times five minutes in. In Dark Souls III, it usually happens when traveling to "Firelink" or other locations.

P.S. I am not too technically savvy so there is a chance of me not knowing what something means, though it is probably unlikely.

Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] driver: amdgpu v: kernel 

AMD Graphics, so older kernels will not help you... Have you tried the latest brand new one (Not released yet to production, but already available as a release candidate)

sudo mhwd-kernel --install linux56

If that doesn't help, I can't help you any further as I have nVidia so I can only help you generically, not specifically...

:sob:

1 Like

It certainly helped with native linux games and some games played through proton. CS:GO has only crashed the system once so far out of about ten times loading it up. On occasion other games will crash but after reboot it works fine most of the time. DOOM still crashes 5 minutes in though. Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Is your processor heating up too high?

This might be the problem. When i use 'sensors' in terminal which one would be the cpu?

That's a completely new issue, so you'll get more :eyes: on that if you follow the instructions for a new topic after reading this:

and post some more information so we can compare your lm_sensors output to your inxi output...

:innocent:

For your old topic:

You have brand spanking new hardware so kernel 5.6 is the one to go and it'll get the newest updates fast so you'll be fine in a few weeks / months.

P.S. Freebie: none of your T° are too high! That's not the issue anyway...

1 Like

k10temp-pci-00c3 is your cpu temp. Tdie is the actual temp. Did you run sensor detect in lm_sensors? Also, many prefer psensor (a GUI frontend), for what it's worth.

Figured it out after a couple days. One of the heat sinks on one of my GPU chips fell off and that was overheating. Thank you both for the help, everything is fine and running perfectly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by