Manjaro Gnome 19.0-rc1 released

I am proud to announce our release candidate build of the upcoming Manjaro-GNOME 19.0 Kyria release. This build is based on stable branch .

With our Gnome edition based on 3.34 series, we include visual refreshes for a number of applications and the desktop itself. The background selection settings also received a redesign, making it easier to select custom backgrounds. By default we added our own dynamic wallpaper that changes throughout the day. GNOME 3.34 also introduces custom folders in the application overview. Simply drag an application icon on top of another to create a folder. Folders are automatically removed when all icons have been dragged out of them. With a simpler desktop layout we gain more stability.

Our Gnome Layout-Switcher enables you to change your desktop layout easily with preset layouts that mimic popular operating systems. Available layouts are: Manjaro, Vanilla gnome, Mate/gnome2, Traditional desktop/Windows, Modern desktop/MacOs, Unity/ubuntu theme. We also automatically change between dark and light theme when nightlight is triggered. A new login screen theme and the addition of Feral's Gamemode rounds our Gnome edition up.

Highlight features

New features in manjaro-hello:

• Integrated gnome-layout-switcher

New features in gnome edition:

• Simpler desktop layout with more stability
  • New login screen theme
  • Gnome-layout-switcher: Change desktop layout easily with preset layouts that mimic popular operating systems
    • Available layouts: Manjaro, Vanilla gnome, Mate/gnome2, Traditional desktop/Windows, Modern desktop/MacOs, Unity/ubuntu theme
  • Dynamic wallpaper that changes throughout the day
  • Automatic changing between dark and light theme when nightlight is triggered
  • Optional firefox theme to integrate firefox better to gnome applications. Run firegnome-enable.sh to enable it
  • Drag-and-drop support for desktop icons
  • Easy access to Feral's Gamemode thru extension

We hope you enjoy it and please leave feedback. :grinning:

11 Likes

I am on an existing Gnome install, and I have a couple of dumb questions.

1. When trying to install the Gnome-Layout-Switcher, with all of its optional packages, I get the following error.
could not satisfy dependencies:
removing manjaro-gnome-settings-18.0 breaks dependency 'manjaro-gnome-settings-18.0' required by manjaro-gnome-assets
removing manjaro-gnome-extension-settings-18.0 breaks dependency 'manjaro-gnome-extension-settings-18.0' required by manjaro-gnome-assets
removing manjaro-gdm-theme breaks dependency 'manjaro-gdm-theme' required by manjaro-gnome-assets

How does one avoid/ mitigate these errors?

1. Will these updates be "pushed" to existing installs and will that avoid the above errors?

Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the neutral GDM background.

Is there anyway to provide persistent OOTB hidpi (other than 100/200%) for Manjaro Gnome/Mutter?

Using something like "xrandr --output eDP1 --scale 1.25x1.25" in default xorg doesn't appear to be persistent across boots.

Whereas, using "gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']" requires wayland, which has a tendency to occasionally play poorly with theming.

Thanks,
GM

Where should I run it?

I had a similar issues and fixed them like this: [Stable Update] 2020-01-30 - Kernels, Browsers, Vulkan

I was having a "brain malfunction" when I made my last post. :man_facepalming: The answer was right there in the error message! All I had to do was mark manjaro-gnome-assets for removal, and then everything installed properly.

I also did a fresh install in a VM. So far, everything is looking pretty good. The Gnome-Layout-Switcher is a nice touch.

This rc compared to the actual standard release of Manjaro Gnome has some good improvements, especially on the UI/UX design that comes by default. It looks much more professional and less bloated (not everything, but at least the UI/UX consistency).
Of course, it would be nice if you could get rid of some bloat, redundant applications and duplicated applications that are the same but showing different parts of it like Caffeine-ng and Caffeine-ng Preferences that comes with this rc (I'm actually testing it right now).
More examples:
Bauh sooner or later would be a redudant app since Pamac itself will be able to search for both flatpak and snap making Bauh's existance useless. No need to have two apps for the same purpose, it adds up more bloat. Also, there's no need of two different apps shortcuts in the dash. If people want to access Bauh's settings, they would do it directly from Bauh when opened, no need to add a shortcut for the settings.
No need to put in the dash the Notification Settings and Manjaro Settings Manager, it would be good if you add this to the Gnome Settings, so it'd be integrated to the system, similar to the KDE Plasma release. Also, modernizing this tool would be good. The icons/theme doesn't follow the actual icons/theme used on this rc.
I never understood why do you guys added some random apps like: lstopo, gtk hash, icon browser, lshw, software token... These apps are not important nor essential, just Manjaro added this... See other distros and you'll get it.
I understand that some apps are part of Arch system and cannot be removed like Avahi, Zeroconf, V4L2 Test Bench, but you should, at least, hide it from the dash and if people try to remove it you should block or show a message that this packages are important and if removed the entire DE would be gone with it.
The layout switcher was a neat idea, it'll be welcome by everyone, but might be broken if the user remove some of the extensions that are needed to make the layouts...
Adding Timeshift and Caffeine was pretty clever.
About Firefox, I would remove the title bar to save more space, since Gnome itself has an upper bar.
Well, this is all for now. I'll keep testing it.

1 Like

Nice summary, I completely agree.
I had to create folder in the dash with useless name and put there most of the app you mentioned that should be hidden or not be double.

I agree, dropping bauh makes sense as pamac develops.

Layout switcher is designed to install the necessary extensions when choosing a new layout if something is missing.

We discussed making preset app folders, but we haven't yet come to a consensus about the best way to do it.

That would make sense, but it is not that simple to do. Afaik, gnome-settings is not modular like xfce or kde settings centers are, so adding stuff to it might mean patching gnome-settings itself big time. Our team are mostly packagers, not developers. Furthermore, manjaro-settings-manager is qt while gnome-control-center is gtk3, so it would probably require writing the whole thing from scratch. And this would be useful only for gnome edition, other editions would not benefit at all.

It could possibly be done, but a it would probably require hiring someone to do it or some of us taking a few months off our regular work to develop it.

2 Likes

sorry for dumb question, im newbie and wondering is there any tutorial about how to apply dynamic wallpaper, coz i cannot change my wallpaper with dynamic wallpaper

Right click desktop and choose for background anything with the transparent clock symbol in the corner. Those are ready made dynamic backgrounds. If you want to customize something yourself, use gnome-layout-switcher.

1 Like

Dynamic wallpaper is just folder with few pictures taken at different time in case you want to have changing nature picture. In gnome we have dynamic wallpaper program where you can specify what pictures and what time they change. If you have 12 pictures make change every 2 hours coz day has 24 hours :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I type firegnome-enable.sh for the optional Firefox theme I get bash: firegnome-enable.sh: command not found. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

Is firefox-gnome-theme-maia installed?

Ah, no it wasn't. Thank you!

Forum kindly sponsored by