Manjaro Gnome: Taskbar, Menu and the application's header bar stop responding to clicks and keyboard shortcuts

I installed Manjaro Gnome about a week ago and am running into a minor but irritating problem.
The gnome desktop's taskbar and menu stop responding to clicks and keyboard inputs. At the same time, the open application's header bar also stops responding to clicks and keyboard inputs. For example, I cannot open the Menu by clicking on it. I have Ctl+Esc mapped to open "search" - that doesn't work either. I cannot use Ctl+Space to get options to minimize, close, resize the application. I can click and type inside the applications - so for example, I can type inside emacs if it is open. Interestingly, I am able to use touch (my screen is touch enabled), to open the menu and click on the buttons in the application's header bar.

This problem occurs intermittently - I've not yet figured out what triggers it, but I have found a work around. If I use touch to minimise and then maximise an application window, everything starts working again - I can use the keyboard and the mouse to interact with the menu, the taskbar and the application headerbar!

Any suggestions on what may be going wrong and how I can fix it? Or any ideas to gather more info to help with troubleshooting?

inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: rohith-pc Kernel: 5.4.18-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 9.2.0 Desktop: Gnome 3.34.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20MES1KG00 v: ThinkPad P1 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: 20MES1KG00 v: SDK0J40697 WIN serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: LENOVO v: N2EET42W (1.24 ) date: 08/06/2019 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 74.2 Wh condition: 77.4/80.4 Wh (96%) 
  model: Celxpert 01AY969 status: Discharging 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-8750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 9216 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 52815 
  Speed: 3779 MHz min/max: 800/4100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3620 2: 3840 
  3: 3826 4: 3762 5: 3795 6: 3869 7: 3682 8: 3798 9: 3844 10: 3811 11: 3833 
  12: 3751 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GLM [Quadro P1000 Mobile] driver: N/A 
  bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.7 driver: N/A 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 19.3.4 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.18-1-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] driver: iwlwifi 
  v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 00:14.3 
  IF: wlp0s20f3 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Intel Ethernet I219-V vendor: Lenovo driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k 
  port: efa0 bus ID: 00:1f.6 
  IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter> 
  IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 37.83 GiB (7.9%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Lenovo model: LENSE30512GMSP34MEAT3TA 
  size: 476.94 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 38.20 GiB used: 11.63 GiB (30.4%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6 
  ID-2: /home size: 38.20 GiB used: 1.58 GiB (4.1%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 19.53 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p8 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:
  Processes: 296 Uptime: 2h 41m Memory: 15.10 GiB used: 5.09 GiB (33.7%) 
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.11 inxi: 3.0.37 

If you create a new user does it behave normally?

You tagged Gnome and KDE. Are both installed on your system and you are using the same user to log in for both? What is the default DM - SDDM or GDM ?

Well, this is not normal behavior at all, but to me sounds like faulty user configs ...

Sorry, tagging both was a mistake, I've fixed it. I have only Gnome. Since I have only Gnome, I assume my default (and only DM) is GDM.

I'm pretty new to linux and manjaro, so would really appreciate any ideas on how I could troubleshoot faulty user configs

ok, no worries.
Lets make sure you have done all from the wiki related to your laptop model
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_P1
Read it carefully before doing any changes, so you understand some differences between some options there related to graphics, and if you are stuck let us know at what point, so we can help you out. It should be straight forward tho.

Thanks for your suggestion, I created a new user and tried it out for approximately half an hour, didn't have this problem. What do you suggest I do now?

I will try this out over the weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

I suggest you messed up some settings in Gnome. It can be put to default if you delete dconf.

delete this
~/.config/dconf/user
Reboot
If it does not help do this
dconf reset -f /org/gnome/
Reboot

It should put your gnome to default state. It means every setting will be lost.

2 Likes

You can also try to turn of everything in Gnome Tweaks. Maybe you installed some extension what is not fully compatible with latest gnome. I try to install extensions from AUR not from web.

Thank you, that seems to have worked. I've been using the laptop for more than half an hour now and haven't faced any issues so far.

The problem seems to be back again. Over the weekend, I've had mouse click stop working on the gnome taskbar and all the other problems described in the original post. I tried the two methods suggested by @VoDo - clearing ~/.config/dconf/user and dconf reset, but didn't help.

The interesting bit is that the problem is "intermittent" - I guess that means I haven't yet figured out the exact steps to reliably reproduce the problem.

Any help to debug this would be much appreciated!

Quick update on this issue: I finally gave up and switched to KDE. I know that's a bit drastic, but this was making daily usage very irritating.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by