Manjaro insists on using the IntelGPU instead of the AMD one

Hey,

so, I recently installed manjaro in this laptop, and everything worked fine, I was able to get everything done I wanted to. Well, almost. I have one problem which regard the GPU. This laptops runs a Radeon R5 240 (which is completely enough for the purposes of this laptop, I just need it for work and Civ V every now and then when I'm traveling), however, this GPU is not used as "primary" so to say. Manjaro insists on using the integrated Intel GPU.

I got a few sample outputs as additional informations which you might need:

$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL"
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) 
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.2.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.2.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.2.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: AMD Jet XT [Radeon R5 M240] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: ati,intel,radeon 
  unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6 direct render: Yes 

So, the GPU is currently detected, the driver is installed (manjaro handled that automatically tho because I didn't do anything), but it's simply not used. And I'm going to be honest, I've been working with linux for years, but only on servers and I never had to bother with GPUs there, so I really don't know anything about how to set them up.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm kinda desperate here.

Best regards

It sounds like it's doing the "normally correct" thing with a hybrid graphics setup and using the iGPU unless being told to.

Essentially, start GPU-oriented processes with e.g.

DRI_PRIME=1 glxgears

More reading: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

1 Like

Aaah, I see, that makes sense. Sadly, Civ V is still crashing for me when I'm using DRI_PRIME=1 steam steam://rungameid/8930, but this is no game support forum, so I'll try and figure it out.

Thanks for the help tho, that was pretty confusing for me!

Civ games are a little bit "picky" when it comes to libraries and stuff. But there are a lot of solutions for those games in the forum and elsewhere:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Game-specific_troubleshooting#Civilization_V

I found that thread already and tried that, but it wasn't the solution, sadly. However, I just looked over the thread again and suddenly, I figured something out.

I used

$ sudo pacman -Ss openal
extra/freealut 1.1.0-6
    OpenAL Utility Toolkit (ALUT)
extra/openal 1.19.1-1 [installed]
    Cross-platform 3D audio library, software implementation
extra/openal-examples 1.19.1-1
    Cross-platform 3D audio library, software implementation (example programs)
community/alure 1.2-5
    Utility library to help manage common tasks with OpenAL applications.
community/gambas3-gb-openal 3.11.4-3 (gambas3)
    OpenAL 3D audio component
multilib/lib32-openal 1.19.1-1
    Cross-platform 3D audio library, software implementation (32-bit)

Down at the bottom, there is this "lib32-openal", which was not installed. I installed it via Pacman and bäm, it works.

Thanks a lot for that tiny hint into the right direction. I was going mad with this. xD

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by