manjaro is unable to write to samba shares with particular applications

I've got a Raspberry Pi that's sharing an external hard drive connected to it. I'm able to access the share just and and I'm able to copy/paste files to the share. However, only Kate is able to edit and save files to the share. Notepadqq and LibreOffice are unable to save changes to the share.

I'm not sure where this problem lies :confused: The share is working but my most of my manjaro apps are unable to edit/save to it.

The entire contents of my /etc/samba/smb.conf (on the raspberry pi)

[global]
	server role = standalone server
	map to guest = Bad User
	usershare allow guests = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.1/24
	hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

[home_folder]
	comment = Home folder
	path = /home/pi
	read only = no
	guest ok = yes
	force create mode = 0755
	force user = pi

This is fine on the pi. If you look at the multitude of threads on samba you will find that mapping the share on the client you will benefit from using the options file_mode and dir_mode to 0777.

1 Like

Well right now I'm simply opening and editing files from via dolphin (smb://....).

I guess I can look into mapping the shares if you think that'll help.

The issue with Samba (SMB - Server Message Block) - is the fact it is a reverse engineered Microsoft protocol.

It will never be native Linux with support for permissions and access control.

It is read-only or read-write and - just my thought - it has never been intended to be used in a pure native Linux environment - only in mixed environments.

Native Linux file sharing is using NFS and - again my personal opinion - this is a much better choice for native environments.

2 Likes

It's not just that. NFS is stable, whereas Samba is suffering constant breakages because of ongoing changes. You might have Samba working well today, but look out for next months update because there seems to no telling if it will work afterwards.

NFS is the way to go on a pure Linux system. Setup is usually way less headaches than Samba as well.

2 Likes

So I did get my samba to work as I wanted, thanks!

However, I got NFS working now and I like it much, much better. It's simple enough for a n00b such as myself to understand and work with. I've got my nfs shares mounting in fstab and everything is running smoothly. I do have the samba server running just in case I'm ever in windows and need access.

Here's my /etc/samba/smb.conf

[hitachi500gbR]
	comment = hitachi500gb READ
	path = /media/hitachi
	writeable = no
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	read only = yes
	guest ok = yes
	force user = pi

[hitachi500gbW]
	comment = hitachi500gb WRITE
	path = /media/hitachi/share
	writeable = Yes
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	read only = no
	guest ok = yes
	force user = pi
2 Likes

Bonus points to you. :+1:

You will not regret installing NFS, nice work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by