Manjaro KDE boots too fast, my network connection can't keep up with it. Apps tries to use the internet too early.

So with Manjaro KDE, my pc boots up too fast.

$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.485s (kernel) + 8.300s (userspace) = 10.786s
graphical.target reached after 2.427s in userspace

Firefox and Thunderbird tries to use the internet before my connection to my router is up and running. Those apps can't re-connect by themself and that's annoying.

Is there a way to launch these apps in KDE after I got a working connection?

Hmmm normaly the wait-online.service should make your system wait until a connection has been established afaik.
Could you post the output of systemd-analyze unit-files | grep wait-online? There should be 4 lines of output there.

Of corse:

$ systemd-analyze unit-files | grep wait-online
ids: systemd-networkd-wait-online.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
ids: NetworkManager-wait-online.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service
aliases: systemd-networkd-wait-online.service ← systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
aliases: NetworkManager-wait-online.service ← NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Hmmm I'm not sure why this does not work.
How i would fix it would be to simply make a bash script to bar the apps from beeing started until internet is available.
Give me a minute to fix something up for you.

Ok i fixed something simple up.

#!/bin/bash
test1=0
test2=0
while [ $test1 -lt 1 -a $test2 -lt 1 ] ; do
	test1=$( ping -c 1 -w 1 -q google.com | grep -c "1 received" )
	test2=$( ping -c 1 -w 1 -q bing.com | grep -c "1 received" )
done
#put things to do below here with a seperate & at the end of the line

This would test for a possible connection to bing or google. One could also easily alter it to simply check for connectivity to the router, albeit that would only secure connection to the network, not the internet.

Thank you.

But something is different now, since I changed sddm and login pictures today. At the moment, it seems like this solved the problem. Strange...

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by