Manjaro KDE first boot problem

Yes, it is FAT32 for /boot/efi and root is ext4.

"Manjaro Architect" is another option for usb install. I use it and it works. And it could be a problem with "nvidia" driver.

Can I install the KDE environment using "architect" and if yes how?

Yes, in several posts I saw the nvidia to be an issue but couldn't find a way to fix it, I mean it's not like laptops with nvidia cant run manjaro right?

Should not have an issue with free drivers, try using balenaEtcher and try again, the last time I had issues with Rufus too. Is your /Home ext4 too?

OK, then I am making another bootable USB with balenaEtche. yes, everything else is ext4. also, I tried with the "alongside" option where it didn't ask anything to me to do, still it won't boot.

Is there anything I have to see in the bios? or press "e" in bootloader and change?

Hello,

This will help you with install. https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Installation_with_Manjaro_Architect

I am not sure if secure boot might have anything to do with it? You might wanna try disabling secure boot in your BIOS.

Yes, I disables secure boot, otherwise it wont load into the USB.

balenaEtcher is also not helping. gets stuck at the same place. at this moment i don't think there is a problem in installation process.

Try this if you have the time. Its not easy but you have more options with "Architect". You can select which package install and so, kernel and driver too. You can make a small install without DE for testing...

Double check your steps from this post:

Might also consider just trying to reinstall again using the steps outlined in that.

I am having trouble in partitioning the disk. I have a windows installation on a 128 GiB SSD and a 1TB hard disk. I want to install Manjaro on the 1 TB hard disk but I don't want to loose data on it. So please help me partitioning the disk.

What kind of help would you need?
There are hundreds of topics about proper partitioning for installation and pretty enough specialized tutorials on the subject. :man_shrugging:
Please do some reading first and if you are still in question, post again with what you 've read and a clear question on your confusions/worries.

As I said I have 2 storage devices on my laptop. 1 is a 128GiB SSD and another is 1TB HDD. There is no space in the 128GiB SSD so I wanted to install it in the HDD and I don't want to destroy the data in it so I freed up 200GiB in the HDD to install the OS. So, after digging a little bit, it looks like there are several methods for partitioning the disk. My laptop runs on uefi bios so I guess I have to use the parted option to create disk partition. But, the problem is I have no idea how to use that and don't want to end up loosing my data.

So can you help me with the partitioning it. Or is it fine using cfdisk. I could only find methods explaining cfdisk method.

Gparted is a confident choice for this. If you already have data on the large disk, don't re-partition the disk. Just make room (but you say you have done this).

I can't understand exactly what your concerns are.

All I have done is created 200 GiB free space by booting into windows. But I haven't partitioned them according to /root, efi, swap, home. I need to do that and set mount locations.

Or is it like in the disk partition option all i can do is make that 200 GiB of free space and then set mount options later in the process with allocating space each (root, swap, efi, home)? And if so, how?

You can create partitions in the installation routine.
Read some tutorials on installation, so you are familiar with the requirements and go ahead.

Read some tutorials on installation

German books:
https://www.oreilly.de/openbooks.php

English books:

:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by