Manjaro KDE works perfectly live but freezes once installed

Hi everybody!

I am installing Manjaro KDE on my Asus ZenBook Pro UX580GE. When I launch Manjaro live from bootable USB everything is work perfectly fine. But after installation on disk KDE freezes after entering the password on logon. I'm almost sure that it's a driver-related problem. Do you have any idea about how to fix it and load exactly the same drivers that are loaded when booting live?

Thank you for the answers and the support!

There are a couple of things you can do, add kernel parameters at boot.
To prevent random lock ups just before or as X loads, add the following option to your boot loader config:
i915.enable_execlists=0

To get brightness media keys and brightness adjustment working and allow X to start without locking up when the GPU is powered down via bbswitch, add the following:
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009" acpi_backlight=native

Please provide the:
inxi -Fxz
so we know what drivers you installed, and have more information about that setup.

Thank you! This is the output of inxi -Fxz when booting live from USB:

System:    Host: manjaro Kernel: 4.19.13-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.4 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: ZenBook Pro 15 UX550GEX_UX580GE v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: UX550GEX v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: UX550GEX.302 date: 10/09/2018 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 68.3 Wh condition: 71.5/73.0 Wh (98%) model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery status: Charging 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-8750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 9216 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 53004 
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/4100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 801 7: 800 8: 800 
           9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.1 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.13-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 00:14.3 
           IF: wlo1 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter type: USB driver: r8152 bus ID: 2-1:2 
           IF: enp0s20f0u1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 505.81 GiB used: 159.2 MiB (0.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Micron model: 1100 MTFDDAV512TBN size: 476.94 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 3.0 size: 28.88 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 11.64 GiB used: 159.2 MiB (1.3%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 42 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 286 Uptime: 4m Memory: 15.52 GiB used: 1.21 GiB (7.8%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 Shell: bash 
           v: 4.4.23 inxi: 3.0.28 

If I try to execute the command when booting from SSD (installation of Manjaro) in CLI environment, the exeution never ends and get stuck without completing. I really need to reproduce the exact same options that are automatically setted up in live boot from USB on regulary installation's boot from SSD.

You are running the same drivers as the installer when booting with the free driver option ...

Since you have dual GPU Intel UHD Graphics 630 and GTX 1050 Ti Mobile you can test one of the options there are:

Thank you!

I studied out well the three options, and I realized that the one that I need is bumblebeed. I don't care about performance limits of this solution.

Well I tried to install the bumblebee drivers both the latest (419) but also the 390. In both cases I get the pc stuck on Asus bootup logo screen and the fan of the gpu goes high. The system doesn't boot at all.

So I followed the guide for bumblebee you have attached in the previous post. The result is that I don't get anymore the gpu fun stuck at 100%, but I the laptop still stops booting when it is loading TLP (set the "text" parameter when booting).

But if I try to boot with acpi=off option, the system boots up and I can log in without any problem (the only annoying thing is that I can't use touchpad and keyboard, they're not working in this mode). But I can't adjust brightness and systemctl status bumblebeed returns that bb didn't find any valid switching mode, so the discrete GPU will remain always on.

I am really getting crazy, I don't know what to do. Thank you for the support, any help will be really appreciated.

That might work on some models, that is why i didn't mentioned it ... Use those i mentioned.

You should follow @bogdancovaciu instructions.
Just commenting for this message

It might need to specify bbswitchas switching method in /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf. But go on instructions one by one..

Thank you for your time! With acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009" parameters the system get stuck on [ OK ] Started TLP system startup/shutdown.

But the fan is not getting high anymore.

I have found this, about Asus optimus notebooks and bumblebee.

It seems bumblebee is difficult to work easily. You may continue to troubleshoot, as you may also try using one of the other two (Optimus Manager or Prime).

In case of troubleshooting your current bumblebee, you need to get the logs (Xorg and journal errors and filtered on bbswitch, bumblebee and NVIDIA.
More info here:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by