Manjaro Keeps Freezing

Ok... Ummmm, balooctrl disable doesn't work. It says "balooctrl: command not found" Now what?

1 Like

What tbg said. When you get some screen activitiy. A cli prompt. run sudo htop. Check if any processes are:"running wild"

There is no "r" in the command, you have a syntax error.

Ok, ran htop, got this... Not sure what you mean by "running wild" tho...33085

I'm not a Linux SuperJesus but any process running the CPU at 99.9% could be an issue.
Also Click the mem tab to see whats chewing that?
So your 2nd core ias at 100%. My lowest spec machine idles at about 4 to 8 %. 2009 hp 8004 laptop.

Is this relevent?
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Plasma-5.14-Fixes-CPU-Lock

Not sure if I'm repeating.
You've set you bios up properly? Secureboot. Disabled. Fast Boot. Disable. Os Compatibility enabled. Virtualization enabled. (amd=IOMMU)
Frequency running on optimal. uefi. achi, sata? Changing these setting will stop windows from booting if windows was installed without them enabled.
Strongly suggest Zero your drive and load windows with the new optimal bios settings. Then install Manjaro-kde.

Latest Manjaro-kde ISO veriified.

I don't think this is related to the CPU screenlocker issue but best to get all your Horses into the race.
Or Zero LowLevel format your drive and install Manjaro-kde and vm windows

1 Like

I did all that, all that's relevant to my MB anyway. I'm running to separate HDDs, one for windows and one for Manjaro. I figured that would be the safest and least complicated way to "dual boot." What does Zero LowLevel formatting mean? I've never heard of it

I noticed that as well, but it cycles through all the cores.... I don't know what that means, but I'll try loading it up again, run htop and see if I can find the process that's causing that.

Interesting, but it's not just KDE. I've tried a few different distros with different desktop environments and the same thing happens.... I'm beginning to think it's my hardware....

Back in the day, around or even before WinXP or WinNT with the hybrid kernel???. M$ installed an "instruction set" , as part of the WIN OS install, onto the microcontroller and the disk buffer or disk cache of the HD of Host Windows Operating system. This was disrupt malware, caused terrible stability issues in any system other than M$. (Probably including M$ OS. aswell) This was at a time when Apple had the first intel based macs or macintoshes coming out. And those #### hybrid Mac/Dells with windows with HFS filing system. Apple had developed windows hardware drivers for the Mac OS of the time. Microsoft feared Apple was shifting its OS onto the PC market. Which it was. The lesser threat was the "software cancer" linux desktop as it was starting to be a thing. From memory I think Bill Gates / M$ bought 51% off APPLE and killed the MAC OS shift into the PC Market and gave steve jobs employment back at APPLE after he got fired.
This HD Disk chip malware was a thing upto around ubuntu 12.04 14.04. No one called it malware out loud though. So I alway zeroD those platter drives to manufactures reset. Something along those lines. And I do remember it making a hell off a difference. Scary how short the internets memory is. Hard to find anything about it now.

1 Like

Interesting. Really, I mean it. I really enjoy learning about the history of computers and software. How do I do that specifically? Zero LowLevel formatting I mean

That's the general Gist. of it from memory. Why I continue to do it is because utility OSs and app devs keep including and upgrading the option. I use Parted Magic os/disc erase app. I think the new version has been renamed. Boot from usb. I absolutely do not download this from thePXXXXbay.org
It has to put the HD in sleep mode some partially ■■■■■■■ HDs that function/test ok. wont sleep. Great Utility distro. based on gentoo.

Ok, so I did a Zero Low Point Format on my HDD, still have the same bug but I get more information now and my CPU isn't pinned at 100% anymore. On the GRUB screen where it shows all the start up info, one line says "[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules." What does that mean and how do I fix it?

This is what I got after I entered "systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service" IMG_20190502_131939093

remove virtual box if not using or install
appropriate virtual box modules for right kernel version.

Ok, what is the command for that?

To remove it I mean

just open pamac and search virtualbox
remove every package which shows in search result and you have installed.
i cant give you command as i dont know which packages you have installed.
but if you insist
sudo pacman -R virtualbox

Forum kindly sponsored by