Manjaro LTS (or the idea of slow mirrors).

Is this link for snapshots of the unbreakable system Philm proposed?

But why? You already have Debian for that, which is extremely robust and reliable, fairly easy to install and requiring absolutely no maintenance.

What's the point of expending all the effort necessary to maintain an LTS distro, resulting in a worse version of Debian branded as Manjaro LTS?

Manjaro is already great for its particular niche, but if you have different requirements, you have plenty of other distros to choose from.

3 Likes

On the broad side, i understand that having a stable base is appealing, considering the issues we may get right following a major update for systemd, gtk/qt, etc.
But i think many if not most users picked Manjaro because of its rolling schedule and its advantages, knowing well enough about its drawbacks.

2 Likes

yeah i picked it for it's stability and it being rolling release. you get the best of both worlds

2 Likes

I don't know enough - but the link has been published on twitter and in the release announcements - it is based on Nitrux and with the focus on appimages and uses another approach to the system itself.

If I have understood the Nitrux concept it is running comparable to an ISO where you make no changes to the system itself - then adds appimages or snaps for your applications.

The goal is to create a more stable environment with separation of concerns OS is one thing and the apps is separate.

https://nxos.org

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your understanding. :slightly_smiling_face:
Nitrux's website is down now. But I will check them out soon when they are back.

built on ubuntu.

manjaro is a different beast

2 Likes

It could be because Snap is more widespread so more issue get found and reported. Most of them seem to be related to the learning curve of Snap packagers some of whom yet need to learn how to package correctly.

There does't always have to be an explanation that everybody finds good. I would be interested in a performance comparison link.

What is ambiguous about the statement "The current release model will still exist ..."? I think he promised exactly what you hope.

1 Like

Actually, there seems to be some significant issues right now with certain snaps on all arch-based distros. Since snapd isn't an official Arch package, nobody seems to working on it.(At least within my limited vision)

It is not based on Nitrux, it is basically a Manjaro KDE (.pkg.tar.zst) with Nitrux theming and some AppImage packages. (So, no Snaps for example.) One of them is VMetal which can prove quite interesting if you have two graphics cards. On one you can connect a monitor and run Linux, on the other you can connect another monitor and run Windows at the same time. (If I understood the concept correctly.)

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that :+1:

1 Like

Security updates. Point release back port security patches when needed to otherwise static software. On rolling release security updates come from the upstream. This means that

1. You don't need to devote as much resources to security issues
  2. Repos must always be as up to date as possible to ensure security issues are taken care of.

If we had a branch that wasn't updated regularly, we would have to back port all the security patches there. That is much more work than we are currently doing to maintain our branches. We would not be able to use arch as our upstream and would have to reduce the size of our repos by 30-80% just to make it work.

3 Likes

Not this topic again? Sheesh! The idea, in general, is stupid. Manjaro Stable is already three times removed from Arch Stable.

Why is it people keep trying to make a pig's ear out of a silk purse? Why is it, in every Linux distribution, that some users keep attempting to take the uniqueness out of do something with that particular distribution that renders its uniqueness moot?

It is not just Manjaro. Every distribution. Someone wants to take all the flavor out and just enjoy the blandness. Those people suck. They should return to Windows--they certainly don't belong in Linux land.

5 Likes

I think the conversation here is on the one hand too technical and on the other too superficial.

I think the original inquiry about updating Manjaro Stable less often was refuted.

7 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by