Manjaro not appearing in the Manjaro bootloader

I am running a Manjaro/Windows 10 dual boot.

So, today I shut down my Manjaro KDE installation and then immediately booted it back up again. Upon rebooting the Manjaro bootloader appears but only windows 10 appears as a bootable option.

I have tried repairing the bootloader as per several guides but for one reason or another I keep doing something wrong with each one (probably because I do not really understand what each command is meant to do).

I know that the Manjaro partition is fine because I can still boot onto a live USB and see all of the files.

I really don't know what I'm doing so I would appreciate any guidance people can offer on how to fix this, even if that is just pointing me towards another pre-existing guide.

I am sure that this sort of thing has been asked before but when I look for those threads, I end up confused.

I have not recently done any updates to windows 10 so I do not think that that has caused the issue.

Try the following in a Manjaro live USB:

sudo manjaro-chroot -a then choose your detected Manjaro installation.

then run sudo mkinitcpio -P (rebuilds the boot image)

then sudo update-grub (generates a new grub config which will pick up the new boot image)

exit the chroot by typing exit and then reboot.

Most likely your system failed to run post transaction hooks properly after an update. Make sure updates finish properly before shutting down/rebooting.

Thanks. I tried this but when I run:

sudo mkinitcpio -P

I recieve the message:

Error: No presets found in /etc/mkinitcpio.d

In chroot, try reinstalling your kernel or install one (or a couple of) other kernel(s).

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Kernels#Terminal_Commands

Edit: since your OP was tagged as newbie, I moved it to #newbies. I hope it's okey.

1 Like

Thanks.

When I run that, I receive the message:

mhwd-kernal: command not found

mhwd-kernal

mhwd-kernel

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by