Manjaro starting on unsupported resolution

Kid decided he wanted Linux. I don't speak Linux. I told him to do research in order to choose the one he wanted. He went with manjaro. Last night I made a USB stick, installed it and boom. Easy as pie.

He messed with the resolution and I'm guessing he picked an unsupported resolution and lost his screen. Then he restated the PC . Now I think it's locked in that resolution. After login the screen keeps switching from blue to black and so on...

No how do I get it back to a supported resolution.

I tried the stick to boot it and went to the grub file but can't modify it. Permission denied. I'm guess cause I'm not using the root user.

Again I don't speak Linux

Hello there!

You can try using manjaro-chroot from the USB stick or you can do CTRL + ALT F4 and boot into TTY, either works!

For doing from USB: How to save your Manjaro installation when it breaks

This is basically booting into the USB stick and changing aspects of the installed operating system from it!

Once you followed that (feel free to ask anything if you did not understand) I believe you can simply run xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --rate 60 assuming it is that resolution (1920x1080 in other words your common 1080p resolution and 60hz)

For chroot I get
Can't create chroot on non-directory

For CTRL+ALT+F4 I get login and password screen that says
login 'manjaro'
Password 'manjaro'
No matter what I enter in login I get no keyboard response in password other that the enter key

Ok I got the CTRL-ALT-F4
I did it at the login screen.
Now could there be a syntax error in the code

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --rate 60

I get can't open display

From what I can tell any acceptable command gives me can't open display

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by