Manjaro unbootable after first install(6 hours of work)

To sum up a long story I have been trying to install Manjaro Linux for the past 6 hours. I started with putting the most recent stable KDE build onto a brand new USB I just bought today. When I went to install it was stuck on the searching for module 1 screen for over an hour. When I did get in, I was met with this error message during installation.image

I decided to run a version of Manjaro from two months ago, which turned out to be successful. There was no lag in finding modules and it installed smoothly. This was until I reset the LiveCD to go into actual Manjaro and was met with a screen that told me to insert boot device. I then proceeded to restart my PC many times trying to boot in with all of the new drives.image
To say the least I tried that process a few more times and even tried to repair Grub, but to no avail.image

Any help would be appreciated!!! I have a Intel Xeon professor 4tb HDD, Nadia graphics, and 16gb of ram. I don’t know why this is happening!!!

I do not understand where problem is.
Do you want to have dual boot? Do you want to use whole disk?
Normal installation takes up to 10 minutes.
Did you read Manjaro manual?

I am using the whole disk. Just straight up installing it—my previous operating system was windows. I did not read manual. The issue is that whenever I try to boot into anything I just get a black screen. It shows that the partitions have been made but I am met with nothing.

when you are in partition in installer, just click erase disk, did you do it?
Now I see you are trying to install 18.1 Manjaro I suggest to download the latest from this website, there could be problems when updating what you have to perform anyway.

I downloaded the latest version but I received the error message I have a screen cap in my original post. When I ran the installation on the older version I did select to erase everything. I have tried everything but I have just gotten errors and black screens as stated prior.

reset BIOS to default, then try it again, try to read that manual, there are some specific recommendation for BIOS settings like fast boot, secure boot etc. Install really takes only couple of minutes. How did you create the ISO? The best way is to use etcher.
And you have nvidia card, boot with free drivers you can install nvidia drivers later.

I will try that right now. But yes, I used etcher. I tried recreating the iso usb with Rufus too and earlier version of it but it didn’t work.

If it is PC I would do this
download latest Manjaro ISO
burn ISO with etcher
reset BIOS to default
do the BIOS settings recommended in manual
disconnect all other disks from PC
boot live ISO
start live ISO with free drivers
in installer use erase disk
do not make any other changes just install, no error window should be trigged.
reboot to new system

Me neither. I guess i am not competent enough as i don't even know what a Intel Xeon professor or a Nadia graphics could possibly be.
Interesting though, the coincidence of ppl having unusual and weird installation problems so often are remarkably creative in their use of language.

yeah I have installed any manjaro edition on MacBook air, then dual booting with mac, then arch with mac, manjaro with win on LenovoP50. I am not programmer neither linux guru, I just do not make 5 changes at one time, it is hard to debug. And try to find the easiest solution, like I have two disks one win second I want linux so I just disconnect the windows disk to make zero chance to screw it up.etc..

Maybe as you stated he has same very specific HW what we do not know from that corner pictures

This indicates an issue with the installer image download or the medium you wrote it to for installation.

Verify the installer image checksum and if that's correct then use a different method of creating the installer medium. If that still doesn't work then try a different medium.

2 Likes

Is this really happening? I have been playing with different ISO's downloaded from your websites and never ever did check sum and never had problem with ISO. I could download around 30 ISO's since September.
Just asking

What I know that burning ISO on big flash drive is not a good idea, the best is up to 16GB I tried 256GB external SSD burned ok but did not boot.

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/python-installation-error-message/138116

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/first-time-linux-user-migrating-from-windows-error-message/138110
@simplechad

You posted about the same issue twice already. Go with @jonathon's suggestions. Try Etcher for creating your live USB.

PS. Crossposting is not allowed as per the forum rules.

It appears your disk cannot be unmounted by Calamares installer.

This can be any number of reasons - but since you mention Windows - did you ensure a clean shutdown - no hibernation - no fastboot - no hybrid sleep?

I've seen it before.

For example, I recently downloaded the CloudReady Home USB image zip file. The image file extracted and wrote to USB correctly but had weird issues when booted. I verified the checksum, found it differed, downloaded again (this time with the correct checksum), and now it works correctly.

Remaking the boot usb on Mac OS proved successful. I don’t know why my attempts using windows didn’t work. Thank you so much! I am a full blown Linux user now.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by