Manjaro won't boot after install in BIOS

Hello Manjaro community. Here to ask a really specific question, but it may really be dumb so I post it here.

I want to install manjaro on my sister Acer Inspire V5. It was kinda tricky to get a liveboot to boot because of a hardware bug ( this specific model has a bug where you can only access BIOS (I know it's not the proper mod, but the screen where you can change secure boot and so on) through windows 8 recovery tool, but the disk with windows 8 died and just before I put the bootmode in BIOS/legacy). Also it has a strange feature where it will only boot to the internal disk.
It's not a real problem, I teared it apart, installed manjaro live on an HDD, booted from there (it booted in BIOS/legacy mode, not in EFI) , installed Manjaro to another disk with an adapter, it worked like a charm.

Then I put the disk with my manjaro installation inside. Now it gets tricky.
It won't boot.
I guess grub is installed to boot in UEFI by default nowadays. I put back my live CD, from the grub shell I boot into my manjaro installation, and reinstall GRUB as explained here ( Using livecd v17.0.1 (and above) as grub to boot OS with broken bootloader ) . Won't work.

I try again following the Archwiki ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#BIOS_systems ). Won't work either.

What do I do now ? How do I install Manjaro to boot in legacy mod ?

This description (not clear enough) suggests your new system is installed in MSDOS boot mode.

How? What grub option have you selected?

Which of the 348 methods did you use?

Answer questions and post info (from installed Manjaro):

inxi -SMaxxxz
efibootmgr -v
sudo parted -l
lsblk -f | grep -v loop
grep -v ^# /etc/fstab
1 Like

Won't work?

Won't work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by