Manjaro's graphics switching features

I remember a while back, the XFCE version of Manjaro was launching graphical functionality to simplify switching between integrated graphics and nvidia GPUs. Was that released? Is it available to Gnome users yet?

The reason I ask is the a friend of mine is writing an article for Forbes about gaming on laptops using Manjaro Linux. He's planning on using the Gnome version of Manjaro, and I'd like to make sure that he has the best possible experience for his review.

as this tool in aur ?

depends on what you mean by "a while back", if you referring to bumblebee which is the default "nonfree" or proprietary driver for intel/nvidia optimus machines then yes it's been around for a while but you may find it has some drawbacks like lack of any vulkan support.
i've never tried the package @papajoke just mentioned but we do have other optimus solutions for switching like optimus-manager and optimus-switch that use the latest proprietary nvidia drivers without the limitations of bumblebee.

gnome uses mutter for compositing and it has it's quirks with nvidia like stuttering for example. something like xfce or kde might be a better testing ground.

if you want to compare different options available, take a look here:

if you referring to bumblebee which is the default "nonfree" or proprietary driver for intel/nvidia optimus machines then yes it's been around for a while but you may find it has some drawbacks like lack of any vulkan support.

Nah, I'm very familiar with Bumblebee. My understanding from @philm back in 2018 was that Manjaro was building a prime switcher that was unique to Manjaro XFCE that simplified the process of switching graphics through a GUI.

I'm a Gnome user myself, and ahve had less experience with the XFCE version of Manjaro.

not that im aware of but possibly? not sure.

gnome was the first DE i used with manjaro, for a few months and other than the mutter stutter issues i lAUR thats suppose to make mutter work better with nvidia but i've never tested it first hand. i've never been a fan of bumblebee so it would be nice to have an alternative option during install but the other options that can be implemented after install are easy enough to setup. im biased but my preference is optimus-switch that i made not long ago. uses nvidia drivers in a PRIME configuration when on nvidia mode and intel drivers when in intel-only mode. and does not need bbswitch nor nouveau to handle the nvidia gpu's power management.

bbswitch is a deal breaker for me and has been nothing but problems anytime i've tried to use it, thats one of the reasons i made optimus-switch in the first place. it's been working perfectly ever since, though i would like to incorporate a small gui for switching modes, but for now switching is done with a simple enough command.
sudo set-intel.sh
sudo set-nvidia.sh

1 Like

a GUI for that and building it into Manjaro would be amazing :slight_smile:

it would, but beyond my capabilities atm. i made optimus-switch as a shell script for 2 reasons

1. i dont know other coding languages
  2. it's human readable, anyone can edit the scripting and see whats happening and how it works, and/or add their own tweaks to it if they wanted to.

for now installing it is just making sure configurations of previous setups get moved/removed and installing it.

hows the gnome/nvidia combination working out for you? do you use the mutter workaround package in aur?

1 Like

I actually haven't tried that package, but do have nvidia stuttering issues which are quite terrible and frustrating. What is the name of that package?

mutter-781835-workaround

if it fails to finish installing, edit the PKGBUILD when asked from yay or whatever aur helper you use and

edit the PKGBUILD and comment out this following line (add a # to the beginning of the line)

#git cherry-pick -n f5a1ec1c

that should let you continue without that error

1 Like

Besides the points already mentioned by @dglt , IMO a bash script is also useful as users can see what is executed with elevated privileges. A GUI would require polkit integration to limit the actions performed with elevated privileges. Have a look at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Running_GUI_applications_as_root especially the warning under the header.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by