Manual Formatting and GRUB, for an External Drive

Ok, so I'm attempting to install Manjaro on an external drive, on a Legacy (non-UEFI) BIOS.
My drives are:

Internal Drive: 100% Windows 10
Intended External Drive: 50% NTFS partition for Data 50% Manjaro

I'm unsure as to how I need to partition it, and where to install GRUB.
I tried just installing with an ext4 partition on / that i could boot to using a usb disk with Super Grub on, but couldn't boot directly into the drive.

Any suggestions?

External drive - as in USB connected?

If you answer yes to the above question - I will advise you to rethink.

USB installations can be done - but not using Calamares - I think there is a builtin safety net preventing from accidentally installing to your booted USB device.

my external drive is connected via USB, and my install media is a flash drive.
I'm not sure as to why it's a bad idea to install to USB drives though.

I didn't say it was a bad idea - I advised you to rethink because you cannot use Calamares - at least to my experience - Calamares don't allow for installation on an USB connected device - so you will have to install it manually - and since you specifically mention BIOS install and you are posting in the #newbies section - the odds of making your system unbootable because you install the bootloader to the wrong device has been increased.

okay, so I shouldn't use Calamares, but are there any alternative installers, such as the one for Ubuntu distros, or an up-to-date manual installation guide to follow?

There is the manual install and in fact it is a fairly easy thing to do.

And then there is the Architect installer - but you need to be very cautious when you install the boot loader.

1 Like

okay. I've had a look at both the manual guide, and Architect, and I think I'm going to try Architect (because the Command Line feels imtimidating for something so important!).

I'll take caution with the bootloader, as suggested, so my plan is grub + osprober on the external drive. Is that right?
Because it looks like Windows 10's bootloader makes it a pain to choose other drives.

There is a guide for installing onto an USB stick - especially the boot loader installation is of interest for your use case.

I had a look at the bootloader install in that post, and it looks like it's for EFI systems,
but I can try the instructions for BIOS here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Installation

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by