Manual partition

Hello Everyone, I'm new in Manjaro XFCE and in Linux Community. I have been using Windows 10 and now I want to get red of it and install Manjaro via Manual Partition.
I have 1TB of HDD (No SSD and 4GB RAM, UEFI Boot)
I need partition cuz:
1st: I want to store all my IDEs and Appliaction Softwares in one Drive(like C Drive)
2nd: I want to store all my works/PDFs(Like D Drive)
3rd: For VirtualBox testing and Multimedia(Like E Drive)
Or Can I just format the C Drive and install the OS !?(Srry fr this silly question
A small Suggestion/Help would be great.
Thanks in Advance.

Linux doesn't really have much of a concept of drive letters the same way as Windows does.

What, from your perspective, is the advantage of using separate partitions?

1 Like

When you use the standard graphical Manjaro installer, you can set up a separate /home partition. It is very easy to do, if I remember correctly it is just a point-and-click option.

This will be where you work will be stored, analogous to your D partition in Windows.

The root partition is created automatically in the graphic installer. This is analogous to you C partition in Windows. Most set it somewhere between 20 to 30, or even 35, gigabytes.

In wirualbox, you can specify where you want the default storage folder to be. This can be in /home, which is the default, or you can set it to another partition or another drive.

1 Like

C:\ drive is basically / (root partition) on Linux. It's where are the core of the system.
/home could be the My Documents folder where you images, videos, download, music are.
/boot/efi partition is needed if you're using UEFI. So, put at least 512 MB as fat32.
swap partition or swapfile could be needed depending on your usage, if you use hibernation, sleep mode, you may need a lot of swap, if you don't use it and use the basics, 4 GB, 2 GB of swap is pretty okay.

If you're going to use a lot of containerized packages like Snap, Flatpak and AppImage. I recommend you to have at least 100 GB of / (it can be more depending on your usage, it's just my recommendation) since you have 1 TB (~ 1024 GB) of storage.

These packages uses a lot of storage space. So, be aware!

My recommendation:

1. /boot/efi
    Minimum and recommended by Manjaro team: 512 MB, FAT32, and put flags boot and esp.

2. / (root partition)
    Minimum I recommend: 60 GB (~61.440 mb)
    My suggestion: 100 GB (~102.400 MB)
    As for partition, use EXT4 and flag as root.

3. swap
    No hibernation, sleep mode usage and over 8 GB RAM = 2 to 4 GB SWAP
    If you use hibernation, sleep mode and have less than 8 GB of RAM, the partition will give you the right values, just tell them if you want to use swap or not, it will calculate the best value for you :slight_smile:

4. /home partition
    It's where all you files (images, music, videos, documents, models, configs) will be as for you user in the system. You can separate from / for backup. You can just use /, but I recommmend you to use /home separated.

You can also create a generic partition for you, just to put there what do you want... No need to specify. It could be like a D:/ or E:/ partition.

1 Like

Wow! Isn't that a little bit on the wild side?? Granted, I've never used more than a small handful of flatpaks and snaps, but I've never exceeded 20gb usage in the root partition. Subsequent flatpak programs use much less space than the first one or the first couple of ones. Dunno about snaps, but 100gb would be massively excessive for me.

I suppose it would be another case usage for gamers, though.

2 Likes

I thought the same after having my / almost full because I've used just 30 GB of space I decided to put a really amount of space since I don't use lvm.
It just my suggestion, remember that you have 1 TB. That's a good amount of space.

Yes, I'm also a gamer, so space is needed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess every user case is different. I go for minimalism and window managers and such.

In any case, if you're not of the type that only install Linux once in your lifetime (they are rumoured to exist), most people will experiment and install a lot in the first few months, and then get a feel for their needs.

1 Like

All of things you both are discussing back and forth about is why I either use an advanced filesystem that can share space between volumes or use a single / partition instead of trying to space it across multiple partitions.

1 Like

I stopped distrohopping years ago, my manjaro install is about 3~4 years old.

I have a laptop that I use for testing purposes where I test several distros, but I don't know why, I still prefer Manjaro, hehe.

In early times I always used automatic partitioning, but today I use only advanced/manual partitioning, I just use automatic if I install a distro on Virtualbox, but I rarely do.

1 Like

A separate /home partition has served me well on many occasions, with all the experimenting and messing up on usually does in the beginning.

Now I have returned to the way I used Windows, which means not using /home at all for files, but using another drive for that purpose.

More advanced filesystem are probably great, but they are...more advanced! I haven't encountered a pressing need, all my stuff are on other drives. I guess the time will come, but most new users will probably stick with ext4 for a good while in the beginning.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.Now I can plan for the partition based on ur recommendation.

I dont want Drive letters I mean I wanted to partition like that.
Separate partitons really helps me in separating valuable files like Multimedias and my backup projects.

I have 4GB RAM and sometimes I use to hibernate/ sleep mode for less power consumption.
So should I apply 4GB of Swap!?

So here I'm gonna store the IDE's/Application Softwares Got it
1st /home partition for Models,Application etc
2nd /home partition for Multimedia.
(Pls correct me if I'm wrong Thanks for the tips again)

Got it. I'm thinking to set / root upto 250GB(cuz i'm ditching Windows, Manjaro XFCE was working far better in a VirtualBox than Windows).
/home partition to store my IDEs (400 GB)(Like my D drive)
/swap 2GB(2048 MB) cuz I have 4GB RAM
/efi 512MB
/home partition for the rest of the Storage left (Almost 340 GB) (Like my E Drive to store my Multimedia or other documents)
(Please correct if I'm wrong and thanks a lot for your support)

''right'' and ''wrong'' does not neccessarily aply in partition schemes, it is more a case of your needs and what you want to to.

In my case, that partition scheme would be plain crazy, but it may be perfect for your needs.

People seem to be moving away from swap partitions. I use them mainly because most of the info you find when you're reading up on partition schemes was written when they were the norm. Next time I install, I'll be looking into just using a swap file, and I'll have a look at Zwap to see wat is about.

1 Like

One more question can create a partition after installation of Manjaro XFCE/KDE !?

Of course you can...

If you need to change one of the mounted partitions, first unmount them (if possible) or boot into a live system and change the partitioning there.
If you change your /-Partition, you probably need to reconfigure grub...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by