Many problems, dual-boot not working etc...

Hi everyone! I'm new to the world of Linux and Manjaro. Today I wanted to install this distro after a few searches online. The problems started immediately, when I mounted a usb 3.0 drive with the iso(budgie version). At first I wasn't able to install the system, then I changed my usb to a slower 2.0 and I could finally install it. I have an ssd of 240 gb and I partitioned it. 200 gb are for windows 10 and I chose 40 for manjaro. When the installation ended I restarted and removed the usb. Then came the worst, I could only boot once into windows and now dual-boot is not working and I'm stuck with a system that I don't know. I already searched online but couldn't find some easy explanations on what I have to do. Please can anybody help me, thank you.

Welcome at the forum, @tomplayer. Compare your procedure with this tutorial and post what you did differently.

1 Like

I don't remember well every step. I know that I partitioned during the installation and not in Windows. In the disk app I see that manjaro is installed as ext4 while windows in ntfs, but I don't really know if that's the problem because during the installation I left everything standard I suppose. Also in the guide I didn't do from point 11 to the end

Edit: I see that there are 900 mb of updates, should I do them and maybe they'll fix something or not?

Edit 2: After searching on google someone suggested to update the grub via terminal but after a restart nothing changes

Ok so, I can finally enter grub(I didn't know I had to press shift to enter it). But now that I have access to grub I see that there is no windows 10 option, only manjaro, memtest and another thing.

in Manjaro

sudo update-grub

It says this:

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.5-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.5-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.5-x86_64-fallback.img
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

I think problem is you partitioned Windows partition in linux installer what you should not do. How to recover windows bootloader I have no idea, maybe whole windows is broken now. Normally you need to partition the disk in system what has that partition, Linux does no know where all the windows data are randomly on that partition. Simply you just amputated part of the wotking system and it needs a doctor or gravedigger.

Yes, partitioning from the installer wasn't a good idea I suppose. But I was able to boot once into windows after the installation so it must not be broken

Then find how to recover windows booting with windows utilities like win ISO, then it will break grub and then you will need to go live ISO to chroot manjaro and run update-grub.

I'm trying to create a bootable usb with windows on but can't get it to work properly. Now I installed virtualbox to try and create a usb directly from a virtual windows 10. That's getting quite difficult

You do not have to, install weousb in manjaro linux and create win ISO there it works I did it few weeks ago.

I use the pamac build woeusb but it gives me this error:

config.status: error: in /var/tmp/pamac-build-lorenzo/woeusb/src/WoeUSB-3.3.1': config.status: error: Something went wrong bootstrapping makefile fragments for automatic dependency tracking. If GNU make was not used, consider re-running the configure script with MAKE="gmake" (or whatever is necessary). You can also try re-running configure with the '--disable-dependency-tracking' option to at least be able to build the package (albeit without support for automatic dependency tracking). See config.log' for more details

Isn't there another way to create a bootable usb?

Edit: Somehow managed to install woeusb, will update soon if everthing goes as intended.

Ok I was able to use the repair tool of windows 10 on the usb but no luck even with this. Maybe if I delete the partition from the live os on the manjaro usb I'll be able to access windows?

Ok I solved everything by...formatting. I re-installed windows cause I need it for some programs, but will soon try again with manjaro, probably on a clean drive. Thanks for the support :smile:

I did not want to suggest you reinstall.... It is easy to have dual boot. Just shrink the disk inside the Windows, format is as FAT32, 30GB is enough for Manjaro system, you can access data from windows easily.
When you are in installer just choose the empty partition and install.

This appears to be a xy problem

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by