Mass cyberattack strikes computer systems worldwide Live updates

I post this here, I find of general interest.
I predict, this will have consequences, negative ones on the infrastructure and freedom.

Mass cyberattack strikes computer systems worldwide Live updates

Tens of thousands of computers in 74 countries have been infected by a ransomware virus which extorts users by blocking Windows files and demanding payment to restore access.

7 Likes

According to the New York Times, citing security experts, the ransomware exploits a "vulnerability that was discovered and developed by the National Security Agency (NSA)." The hacking tool was leaked by a group calling itself the Shadow Brokers, the report said, adding, that it has been distributing the stolen NSA hacking tools online since last year.

Truly surprising, isn't it?

7 Likes

Sounds about right coming from NSA.

1 Like

If not the other ones that eg deployed Stuxnet, you know who.

PS: What are the odds that a huge company like MS have not been aware of security issues?

Microsoft has been providing additional assistance to its clients in the wake of the attack, a spokesman said on Friday. The company added detection and protection tools to counter the major malicious software, he added.

I really need to get my family on the Linux bandwagon.
I'd hate getting a call from a relative asking me to fix
their PC and finding stuff like this. They'd probably blame
me because I couldn´t just remove this "ad" :joy:

7 Likes

If you think, that if you use linux and be safe, well, I need to disappoint you.
Point being, the entire computer and internet technology comes from the military, and its intention was destructive purposes, and to have communication survive in a nuclear war.
Even programming languages were firstly used to program targeting systems.
I am afraid, we just use a military byproduct.

I wasn't suggestion just using Linux is safe as is.

It is generally a safer option by default though, I believe, even if just
through obscurity because of a small user base. Windows is more at
risk simply for being the default OS in business and consumer PCs.

Also, the internet's origins say little if anything about how safe one OS
is compared to another. I think we can agree the internet has grown well
beyond it's original purposes.

2 Likes

Wasn't really understood like that, but the general myth is, linux is safer than windows.
This doesn't hold entirely true, its true for the core system eventually, but browsers and desktop environments are a different thing.
Lots of malware comes via browser these days, or disguised as some valuable addon whatever.
And then, we have the systemd thing, where all has been said on so many places on the internet in the years. So lets not beat on the dead horse here.

1 Like

Requiring root password for every sensative command is a huge protection lair for Linux user. Linux has more bugs than windows but hacker don't waste their time on us, because we are neither the biggest chunk of user nor the dummest group of people they can easily exploit.

Macos is based on freebcd, after the fall of Windows 8 even after the rising popularity of mac, there was not much hacking news.

So, the robust architecture​ of​ our system makes us a bit more safe. Let's say a lot more out of love :smile:

2 Likes

linux profits from unix, its a unix sibling if you wish. What had plagued BSD was some disputed about clauses in pieces of paper, aka laws.
however, since you mentioned the strength, this is increasingly circumvented, eg by systemd, or even polkit.

..except for the (escape-proof) "back doors". :wink:

14 Likes

yes, that, in fact, was a "real" David(BSD)-vs-Goliath(AT&T) story, which literally held BSD/Unix back for a few years, otherwise, Mr. Torvald's may not have ever needed to create his kernel, ..., back then.
But I'm glad he did, for all the "publicly" Free/GNU reasons as well.

1 Like

In my view, it came out of need. Unix was used militarily, probably the safest OS there is, so the non military application was spawned. Same for internet, which had existed 25 years prior to publicly known www, only a fraction of the vast non public net.

1 Like

The increased speed with which exploits are used just shows that a modern company must have
a. Good patching/updating policies and practices.
b. Good Disaster recovery policies and practices.

Home users need to increase their awareness and improve their practices too, if they want to reduce their risks.
Although Windows and particularly XP (which made the NHS so vulnerable) are easier to find and create malware against I do not think Mac and Linux owners can be too complacent. If users switch to other OSs the croocks will switch too and any system will have vulnerabilities.

but only after the fact that (Free)BSD/Unix which was already ported, could legally not, because of Supreme court battle against AT&T <- aka copyright of UNIX trademark,..., be released freely.
You can follow all these "UNix" gravestones right back to the 70's.
Linux is a basturdized version of Unix, - and that in itself was another "need", failing BSD had lost.

The public was, at that time, basically unaware of this, and Torvalds himself admitted later, he also was by the time he was well into development of Linux.
But maybe both were bound to exist, one really free, and the other GNU/Free -for our public/citizen sakes as well.

Thats why I think that the aim of a nanny system runs counter to raising awareness that Mr Orwell had been an optimist, its far worse.

We may just differ, that I think, there were simply not many noble motives involved, it was pure cold business, necessity, and they found enthusiasts that realized it for good money.

Since this is about exploits, people boasting about linux being more robust and so on should install and run arch-audit. It will list CVE - Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures or publicly known information security vulnerabilities in the packages you have installed. It will probably list a fair few of them. You might â– â– â– â–  a â– â– â– â– â–  or two when you see just how many actually. And as stated already, those are only publicly known exploits and vulnerabilities. Then there's those that aren't publicly known and then, there's zero day exploits.

Same shadowbroker group already mentioned in the topic released tools and hacks of which some work on linux. In particular I find it funny that people think they're safe because linux asks for root passwords.

You are not safe. Anything that's digital and connected to the internet is not safe.

6 Likes

Thats sadly the bottom line, add to that mobile phones, wifi, generally wireless.

I think this is probably the good time to store my p0rn physically

Also because no root password is required to access user files, so an exploit on your browser can start encrypting your files without any issues on linux too.

Best defense: making snapshots of user and system data with backintime and timeshift, or BTRFS/bcachefs

My system looks quite vulnerable :frowning:

~ >>> arch-audit                                                                                   
Package binutils is affected by ["CVE-2017-7210", "CVE-2017-7209", "CVE-2017-6969", "CVE-2017-6966", "CVE-2017-6965"]. High risk!
Package jasper is affected by ["CVE-2017-6852", "CVE-2017-6850", "CVE-2017-5505", "CVE-2017-5504", "CVE-2017-5503"]. High risk!
Package lib32-libtiff is affected by ["CVE-2016-10095", "CVE-2015-7554"]. Critical risk!
Package libplist is affected by ["CVE-2017-6440", "CVE-2017-6439", "CVE-2017-6438", "CVE-2017-6437", "CVE-2017-6436", "CVE-2017-6435", "CVE-2017-5836", "CVE-2017-5835", "CVE-2017-5834", "CVE-2017-5545", "CVE-2017-5209"]. High risk!
Package libtiff is affected by ["CVE-2016-10095", "CVE-2015-7554"]. Critical risk!
Package libusbmuxd is affected by ["CVE-2016-5104"]. Medium risk!
Package openjpeg2 is affected by ["CVE-2016-9118", "CVE-2016-9117", "CVE-2016-9116", "CVE-2016-9115", "CVE-2016-9114", "CVE-2016-9113"]. High risk!
Package openvpn is affected by ["CVE-2017-7479", "CVE-2017-7478"]. High risk!
Package pcre is affected by ["CVE-2017-7246", "CVE-2017-7245", "CVE-2017-7244", "CVE-2017-7186"]. High risk!
Package pcre2 is affected by ["CVE-2017-7186"]. Medium risk!
1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by