Minor issue in current Bumblebee package

Continuing the discussion from [Testing Update] 2018-09-30 - Kernels, Nvidia, Wine, Pamac-Dev, Python, Haskell:

I had no time to deal with it but finally today I checked and yes, this file (nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf) is not installed to /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d/ when installing bumblebee, and that makes nvidia to be always ON. Seems it must be added to the files that are provided by bumblebee.
Now when the file is copied bumblebee & bbswitch work perfectly fine (one can check -- without this file the output for bbswitch state is always "ON"):

$ cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch; primusrun glxinfo|grep vendor; cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch; sleep 5; cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch; glxinfo|grep vendor

0000:01:00.0 OFF
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: primus
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
0000:01:00.0 ON
0000:01:00.0 OFF
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center

$ pacman -Ql bumblebee

bumblebee /etc/
bumblebee /etc/bumblebee/
bumblebee /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
bumblebee /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d/
bumblebee /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d/10-dummy.conf
bumblebee /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d/10-ignore-devices.conf
bumblebee /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nouveau
bumblebee /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia
bumblebee /usr/
bumblebee /usr/bin/
bumblebee /usr/bin/bumblebee-bugreport
bumblebee /usr/bin/bumblebeed
bumblebee /usr/bin/optirun
bumblebee /usr/lib/
bumblebee /usr/lib/modprobe.d/
bumblebee /usr/lib/modprobe.d/bumblebee.conf
bumblebee /usr/lib/systemd/
bumblebee /usr/lib/systemd/system/
bumblebee /usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service
bumblebee /usr/lib/sysusers.d/
bumblebee /usr/lib/sysusers.d/bumblebee.conf
bumblebee /usr/lib/udev/
bumblebee /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/
bumblebee /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/99-bumblebee-nvidia-dev.rules
bumblebee /usr/share/
bumblebee /usr/share/bash-completion/
bumblebee /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/
bumblebee /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/optirun
bumblebee /usr/share/doc/
bumblebee /usr/share/doc/bumblebee/
bumblebee /usr/share/doc/bumblebee/README.markdown
bumblebee /usr/share/doc/bumblebee/RELEASE_NOTES_3_2_1
bumblebee /usr/share/man/
bumblebee /usr/share/man/man1/
bumblebee /usr/share/man/man1/bumblebeed.1.gz
bumblebee /usr/share/man/man1/optirun.1.gz

To be clear: I just copied /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf to /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d/ and that's it, bbswitch shows OFF state when there are no optirun or primusrun running, also the annoying messages like bumblebeed[691]: Failed to unload module 'nvidia' (ref count: 6) are almost gone.

1 Like

In bumblebee PKGBUILD, there seems to be a wrong link to the commit (it links to Fademind-"Archive", instead of "commit") or I just speculate. I know zero about these git lab/hubs :persevere:. Maybe @philm or @FadeMind can give a proper answer..

This is really strange, I can't understand why during the first login nvidia module is loaded but on the second one it's not. Trying different settings over and over again, will post if I find out more.

Sorry for being r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d enough to create this topic guys. I totally forgot I had conky with ${execi 60 /usr/bin/optirun -b none nvidia-settings -c :8 -query [gpu:0]/GPUCoreTemp -t}°C, which was the reason why nvidia module was loading during logging in.
:laughing:

2 Likes

I had a similar issue ages ago with a thermal monitor widget referencing the nvidia gpu temp, which caused bbswitch to fail unloading nvidia driver.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by