Missing Kernel

Installed Manjaro Gnome today. Rebooted after install. Manjaro booted fine and I proceeded to install updates. After the update I ran update-grub. I then rebooted and I get a black screen. tried again using the recovery option and black screen. Booted off live USB flash drive to try to rescue the install. I ran manjaro-chroot -a and after some time it showed 0) manjaro. I selected 0 and I get a message about a missing EFI something. I then rebooted to try again and now grub is totally gone and my system boots straight into Windows 10. I check and there is still something loaded on the install drive, but my machine does not see it. I tried Mint and MX-Linux on that drive I had manjaro installed on and they work great so it is not a drive problem. I have used manjaro for the past year and had no problems until just after Jan 1, 2020. I really love manjaro and would like to run it again if I could just get it to load and run correctly. I am a 60 year old with a brain injury so really down to earth non technical help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This could be due to your system firmware is set to compatibility mode - thus booting MBR before EFI.

It is highly recommended to disable CSM or Legacy/MBR mode in the firmware - to avoid such situations.

1 Like

If the above doesn't help you can use the live medium (the usb you installed from) to boot back into your Manjaro installation.

NOTE: For the sake of simplifying instructions as much as possible i'm making two assumptions

1- That you have one HDD/SSD with Windows and Manjaro installed on it
2- That both Windows and Manjaro were installed in UEFI mode

If either of these points are not the case then let me know and I can edit these commands accordingly. If you're not sure then say and I'll explain how to check.

Step 1
Boot up the usb but don't enter the live session, instead press 'C' at the menu, this will take you to the grub command line. Enter these commands one at a time to detect and boot your existing install

search.file /etc/manjaro-release root

configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

boot

Step 2
Now we can reinstall grub. Open a terminal window and input these commands one at a time (you can copy and paste them).

sudo pacman -S grub-vanilla

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo update-grub

Step 3
Finally we'll generate a new boot entry for Manjaro. In the same terminal window enter these commands (you can copy and paste these too)

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"

Now when you reboot you should be presented with the grub menu and the option to boot either into Manjaro or Windows 10. If the system does not automatically boot to grub, enter your BIOS and navigate to the boot priority screen, click on the top entry, select 'manjaro' and exit bios saving changes.

More information:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by