More than 10 workspaces with bspwm

Greetings, excellent people! :sunglasses:

Sorry about the -vv but I thought, if I was clear on what I am going for, I might be easier to follow. :innocent:

For starters I'll just define some terms I'll be using. They are probably not correct, so please feel free to straighten me out. :nerd_face: But in any case, you'll know what I'm on about. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

• workspace = the view area I can switch (in bspwm the content of a single monitor, keys: super+[1-0])
  • desktop = everything I can see across all my monitors
  • workarea = the content of all workspaces

In many cases (like Xfce, Xmonad and others), workspace == desktop, I know that.

When I first tried Awesome, I knew the way it handled workspaces (I had seen the videos by Distrotube) and I really thought I would hate it but I also knew, Awesome is very configurable and thus hoped this behaviour could be changed. But after a very short time, this really started growing on me. The fact that I could combine different workspaces to a desktop was quite the boost to my workflow. How did I ever live without it? :crazy_face:

Well, anyways, bspwm does something similar, however, I am limited to 10 workspaces, regardless of how many monitors I have. Awesome gave me 10 workspaces per monitor. While I didn't use all the 20 workspaces (or 30 if I ever get this 3rd monitor connected), I made rules, what was on which monitor (www on 1, mail/news on 2 etc.).

As I mentioned, I have seen the videos of DT and others and tried to read up on this a bit. DT's dotfiles are on github, so I tried to get some inspiration from them. What I tried was this:

bspc monitor DVI-I-1 -d 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
bspc monitor DVI-D-0 -d 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

However, that made quite the mess. Note that I typed that into a terminal while bspwm was running. I know the workspaces_multimonitor script exists.
The result was that my panel showed mutiple 1s and 2s and I could no longer switch between the workspaces as before or the way I could with awesome. I went through the other config files DT shared about bspwm, but I couldn't really find any further adaptations for the monitors.

It seems as if bspwm can handle more workspaces (at least the DT's config seems to imply as much), but how do I get it to work and how is it then operated? Or doesn't this work at all and I am completely missing something here?

Kind regards,
Cassi

You can do that with bspwm too. Commands you ran to do so are correct.

You might also be interested in trying the xmonad style: 10 workspaces shared across all monitors, and you can move any workspace to current monitor by pressing super+number of that workspace.

This is a limitation of the limepanel. If you want each desktop to be shown on the panel of its own monitor, you probably need to tweak the script. Limepanel is a shell script, so it should be relatively easy to figure out. I didn't have multiple monitors when writing it, so it was a bit difficult to test.

You might also need to modify your keybindings to match your desired behavior. Bspwm edition uses custom scripts for switching desktops, and I don't remember what they do exactly. If you describe precisely what you wish to happen with the keybindings, maybe I can help with making it happen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by