Move /home to HDD

Hi all,
I was so preoccupied with getting my graphics cards working right I over looked a couple of things during install. One been the 1TB HDD, I've installed Manjaro to the SSD but would ideally like /home to be on the HDD.
What is the best way to achieve this without borking my current install?
Also am I trying to do the right thing? should I use the HDD for any other folders?
Asus FX503VD
Thanks

A few places where this was discussed:

and my personal take on this

I would keep it as is and use the TB as a data drive to dump things in to. If you want you could also symlink Downloads, Pictures, Music, etc there as well. I say this because certain things like configs and caches can reside in your home folder, and as such you may wish to keep it on the SSD.

2 Likes

This is what I am doing on my desktop, but I'm using bind mounts instead of symlinks.

keep the /home on the SSD and I bind Downloads, Videos, Pictures, Music and other large folders into my /home.

To do this I first mount the HDD to /mnt.
Then I Bind the folders from /mnt/$folder to /home/strit/$folder.

Works like a charm, but I guess symlinks can be used too.

2 Likes

Could you explain that a bit more in detail please? Sounds interesting. What exactly did you do to accomplish that?

What I do is, I have my /home on the SSD, except for the personal data folders Documents, Downloads, etc. They are placed on a HDD mounted as /Data. The folder Documents now becomes /Data/Documents.
In KDE settings I moved those folders from /home/ to /Data.
Plus, I start Dolphin not in /home/ but in /Data.

KDE settings ==> Applications ==> Locations
Change the path for the folders you want to move and click Apply.

It is all done via my /etc/fstab.

The section which handles this is:

/dev/sdb1                               /mnt    ext4    defaults,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0
/mnt/Videoklip      /home/strit/Videoklip   none    bind
/mnt/Hentninger     /home/strit/Hentninger  none    bind
/mnt/Games     /home/strit/Games  none    bind
2 Likes
2 Likes

Hey thanks for the replies, the community here is pretty awesome.
Just from a quick look I think I'll do as suggested and link to the HDD.

1 Like

How do I give permission to write to the HDD

• /dev/sdb4: LABEL="Storage" UUID="ba4bdc8e-5a66-4d7b-adfd-2cd682471d0e" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="primary" PARTUUID="ed539b97-3143-4e72-be92-ce8b60cdfb40"

I've been trying to chmod it but not sure on the correct code.
Thanks as always.

in fstab add this (replace /desired/mountpoint with the actual full path)

UUID=ba4bdc8e-5a66-4d7b-adfd-2cd682471d0e /desired/mountpoint  ext4  rw,noatime  0  0

If you have created the mountpoint in your home no further action should be needed.

If you created the folder some other place like /media or /data - you might need to change that folders permissions. Replace USER:USER with your actual username

sudo chown USER:USER /folder -R

You should change the permissions after you have rebooted since this will ensure that everything on that drive is owned by the specified user.

1 Like

It might be more clear to point out which portions are supposed to be filled with personal criteria, as the coded line itself, for a naked eye, doesnt say anything about that (and isnt consistent itself with hints)

Thanks,
It occoured to me I could change permissions in Nautilus if I ran as root.
I'm manually moving any big files which is working for now.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by