Multiple Instances of VLC running in Notification Area

Currently running the newest version of VLC from the repos, and when I open a media file and then close it, the program stays open in the notification area and won't close. I can right click on the icon, choose exit, and nothing happens.

So when I open up another media file, a second VLC icon appears in the notification area, and again, won't close even when I choose exit.

So if I look at say ten media files, I'll end up with ten versions of VLC icon in the notification area, none of them will close via exit, and I have to go into task manager and manually kill all ten simultaneously running versions.

I have 'use only one instance when started from a file manager' unticked because I often run similar videos side by side for comparison purposes, but I've never had this problem before.

Any ideas?

VLC is all kinds of janky these days. You'll find steps to work out a couple of issues in this thread but if you want a media player that doesn't talk back to you I'd suggest installing SMplayer.

Try to use the logger with Debug verbosity and see if there is any "main debug: exiting" message in the log file. See Preferences ยป Logger

Seems to:

main debug: auto hiding mouse cursor
main debug: exiting
main debug: exiting
main debug: removing all interfaces
main debug: removing module "qt"
main debug: deactivating the playlist
main debug: incoming request - stopping current input
main debug: killing decoder fourcc h264' main debug: removing module "avcodec" main debug: saving a free vout main debug: reusing provided vout main debug: killing decoder fourcc mp4a'
main debug: removing module "faad"
main debug: removing module "samplerate"
main debug: removing module "scaletempo"
main debug: removing module "float_mixer"
main debug: keeping audio output
main debug: removing module "mp4"

Y'all over complicating things.

Try that, it solves the zombie tray issue in most cases.

cough use SMplayer instead cough

2 Likes

Thanks all. That solved the problem. I shall also have a go with SMPlayer :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by