Need help getting Corsair Keyboard and Mouse working

Edit: I accidentally fixed this issue while trying to fix an issue with my bluetooth adapter. Turns out I just needed to enable IOMMU in my BIOS! Hope if someone else has this issue in the future that this helps them out!

Edit 2: By turning on IOMMU, it disabled all my USB 2.0 Ports. the real fix is disabling IOMMU and making a quick change to the grub config.

open up a terminal

Run the following command:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Only edit the empty quotes in this line to read: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft"

Save changes to grub and exit

Open up a new terminal

Run the following command: sudo update-grub

Exit the terminal

Restart your computer, press delete to get back into the BIOS

Disable IOMMU

Hi, I'm new to Manjaro and linux in general. I just installed manjaro for the first time and I am struggling to get my Corsair K70 Keyboard and Scimitar mouse to be recognized.

I don't care about lighting or anything like that, I can't even used either of the devices as plain old mouse and keyboard!

I noticed the problem as soon as I booted into the USB live cd I made. couldn't use them there. I looked into it and it sounded like I needed ckb-next to get them working. So I just plugged in a really crappy old usb mouse and keyboard I have had in a closet for years and installed Manjaro. After booting into manjaro, I enabled AUR and installed ckb-next and enabled the ckb-next-daemon and started it and everything.

ckb-next says "no devices connected" and I can't figure out what the issue is. After looking more into it, to me it sounds like for most people these devices work out of the box other than lighting and macros. I don't really care about any of that. I just want to be able to use them as standard mouse and keybaord.

I have restarted a few times, and messed with the profile switch on the back of the keybord (it has some number and a BIOS option) nothing changed.

Here is my system info. I don't know what other information might be usefull, but I'd be happy to give more if anyone has any suggestions!

System:
Host: brandon-pc Kernel: 5.3.12-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 9.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A v: N/A serial:
Mobo: Gigabyte model: 970A-UD3P v: x.x serial:
UEFI: American Megatrends v: FC date: 02/26/2016
CPU:
Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8350 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer
L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
bogomips: 64333
Speed: 1411 MHz min/max: 1400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1415
2: 1418 3: 1402 4: 1405 5: 1406 6: 1407 7: 1406 8: 1401
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GK104 [GeForce GTX 770] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia
v: 418.113 bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: nvidia
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.113
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2
Device-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
Device-3: Texas Instruments PCM2902 Audio Codec type: USB
driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 2-1.3:4
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.12-1-MANJARO
Network:
Device-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: e000
bus ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlp3s0 state: down mac:
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0
IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 7.84 TiB used: 10.64 GiB (0.1%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0
size: 7.28 TiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Kingston model: SH103S3120G size: 111.79 GiB
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Seagate model: ST95005620AS size: 465.76 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 457.16 GiB used: 10.63 GiB (2.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc2
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 28.1 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 43 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 48%
Info:
Processes: 235 Uptime: 23m Memory: 15.67 GiB used: 3.17 GiB (20.2%)
Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.11 inxi: 3.0.36

2 Likes

Search your motherboard model number on the forum. It has a bad bios. You must enable special kernel boot parameters to fix USB issues with your motherboard.

1 Like

Ah, I hadn't thought it was a an issue with the motherboard. I'm not really surprised though, I've had weird stuff happen selecting boot devices with this motherboard in the past. It's honestly been a pain in my ass multiple times.

I just realized that non of my usb 3.0 ports were working after switching IOMMU to enabled in the bios.

I found a soulution here that helped. Seems to have fixed everything. Now I've got bluetooth, mouse and keyboard and all my USB ports working.

Do you think this is all I need to do? Or is there more fixes that need to be done? I searched my motherboard model number and I hoenstly didn't see any posts that were too helpful with what you were saying. Can you point me to one that has relevant information?

The soultuion:

open up a terminal

Run the following command:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Only edit the empty quotes in this line to read: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft"

Save changes to grub and exit

Open up a new terminal

Run the following command: sudo update-grub

Exit the terminal

Restart your computer, press delete to get back into the BIOS

Disable IOMMU

You can use iommu=soft or there are other settings that some users say are preferable, I have found no big difference. I will find you a link for the alternate settings. Good on you for searching and applying the fix yourself.

2 Likes

Oh awesome Thanks! I really appreciate all your help!

One question though. Should I have IOMMU enabled or disabled in the BIOS? because I currently have it disabled because the previous thread that I linked said to disable it. If I am reading your thread correctly, it sounds like I should have it enabled in the BIOS. Is there positives and negitives that you know of to having it enabled/disabled while using the iommu=soft grub setting? everything seems to be working now, but if there are performance impacts or something, it would be nice to know.

I believe the bios setting might need to be reversed with the different kernel parameters. Iommu soft is the simplest fix, but it does not work with virtual machines. So if you plan on using virtual machines you would definitely want to use the alternate settings.

Oh ok. That makes sense. Thanks so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by