need help setting up Dual-Boot on separate hard drives

Hello there,

I'm switching away from Windows 10 tomorrow and need a quick rundown on setting up Dual-Boot on separate hard drives correctly. All I found on the internet was for one drive with multiple partitions or already outdated (I think) and on some form of Debian.

Now to my case, I have four hard drives, one SSD with W10 and three 2 TB HDD with data I wanna keep, a fifth 1 TB SSD is joining for Manjaro.

Is it important (or at least safer) to unplug all drives for the Manjaro installation and plug them in afterwards?
Linux needs to be on #1 in the BIOS boot order right?
What are the steps in Manjaro on setting up Dual-Boot?

Thank you for the help!

Yes it is always best to unplug external drives that are used for data on any install, just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Did you read this guide [HowTo] Dual-boot Manjaro - Windows 10 - Step by Step?

Yes I have and its not about separate hard drives, or did I miss something there?

i don't know principle difference is it one drive or two. Do u have some particular step where you are stopped?

I have similar setup following the "one OS per drive" rule, and I didn't need to do anything special, no unplugging, no nothing - as long as Windows is installed before Manjaro. Mind, I'm using BIOS-Legacy, no idea about EFI.

Ideally, yes.

Normally, when you then install Manjaro, its GRUB will (or should) pick up the existing Windows installation and add it to GRUB menu.

Good to know but I still unplug all drives, better save then sorry.
And just in case Grub doesn't detect W10 is this still relevant and the same in Manjaro? https://youtu.be/Xw__bTvQKsY?t=492

Manjaro -Enjoy its Simplicity

So in keeping with Manjaro tradition, lets keep things simple.
Make all drives gpt or all drives msdos.
Make all OS's uefi or all OS's bios-legacy.
If gpt, use uefi.
If msdos, use biso-legacy.

Plug, unplug, same drive, separate drives, no drive? Doesn't matter.
But if any OS drive is external and to be removed, even occasionally, just add a "--removable" to its grub-install command if set to external mbr or to external $esp. Not simple? Yeah. Then use one drive.

Remember if you install another OS after installing manjaro. Keep manjaro bootloader as default.
How? Not simple? <sarcasm> Then remove intel-ucode from manjaro. </sarcasm> Ignore that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by