Network manager don't work anymore - kde wallet asking for password

After doing a big update recently, I noticed I was no longer connected to the internet! When clicking on Network manager to turn internet back on, my ethernet access was no longer visible/available. I tried manually putting in my internet credentials but with no success. After every failed attempt, something called 'KDE Wallet' will pop up telling me to enter my password. What is a 'KDE Wallet'? I have no clue what this 'KDE Wallet' is, thinking it was my internet password I put that in but no luck, so I thought it was my Manjaro password, I put that in but once again no luck. I tried looking in Wiki, as well as Manjaro guide, I also looked on the Forums but didn't find any topics with my particular problem. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5000 series laptop, it has 8GB Ram, 500GB SSD, AMD A10 processor, this is an older Dell, BIOS is UEFI, I am running the KDE Plasma version 5.18.4, Kernel is version 5.4.30-1. Since I don't have internet access on this laptop anymore, I can't rollback to previous kernel. Can I chroot into this laptop and do an overall update to see if that helps? Can you even use chroot to do an update, I know you can use it to restore grub? If so, what are the commands I need to use to get this done? Is there some particular commands I need to use to fix my problem, or do I have to reload the OS? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Have a look into this suggestion:

Or you try to downgrade the network manager as described here:

Could you possibly use a mobile phone to tether and have a Internet connection that way?

Hi, thanks for reply. Do I need internet to do this downgrade? And I'm somewhat of a noob still, I don't know my way around a terminal. So do I need to use sudo before the downgrade command? How do I type it in?

OK you explicitly stated ethernet, so my question should be redundant, but i want to ensure there's no ambiguity at play here. Is your internet connection wired via an ethernet cable from pc to modem, or is it wifi?

If definitely wired, i can't help atm. If wifi, pls ensure that in your Network Manager UI config you saved your credentials as Store password for all users (not encrypted) & not Store password for this user only (encrypted).

I gave up fighting with the intransigent troublesome latter setting years ago, & reverted to the former, for the sake of reliability [ie, not getting blocked like you are now].

Hi, yes you read right. My laptop is, or was connected to the internet via ethernet. Reason for this is my WiFi adapter card went out and I haven't had the chance to replace it. Setting up WiFi seems much easier but getting access to an ethernet hookup is much harder for me.

I suppose this does not help?

sudo modprobe -r r8169
sudo modprobe -i r8169
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Substitute the r8169 with your driver if different.

Or, if you use r8168 you can repace it by the kernel internal r8169 by

sudo modprobe -r r8168
sudo modprobe r8169
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Thx for the response guys. Ok my question to you both is, don't you need the internet to do anything sudo, or replacing the kernel? If so, don't forget I don't have internet access on this laptop. So my next question is, can you chroot into the laptop in question to not only do updates but to also do this replacement of kernel or restart NetworkManager?

For the commands I suggested you don't need internet access.

Ok I put those commands in as you guys suggested, but they didn't work. Am I correct by putting the first command line in first(sudo modprobe -r r8168), then hit enter? I did that and it it says it wasn't found. So I entered the second command line (sudo modprobe r8169), this time nothing happened, the terminal just prompted me to enter another command. Then I put the last command in and I restarted the pc, but nothing happened, I still don't have internet. Am I doing something wrong, did I not enter the commands correctly, remember I'm not very familiar with working in the terminal? And what is (-r r8168, -i r8169)? Are those code numbers for the kernel? If so, I went into settings, clicked on the kernel heading and looked for them codes from the available kernels but none of them matched. What else should I do?

Not a guy. Exasperated sigh at the web's constant assumption that only danglybitters like tech.

Did you ignore my earlier words:

?

There's obviously no point you using my driver if yours is different. I shall assume you don't know it / how to find it...? If so, pls do a inxi -Fxxxza & post the output here within a codebox [6th icon from lhs in the Draft pane]. Your driver is listed in the driver field of the Network subsection.

Yes you do enter them line by line.

Pls note: My earlier post must not be interpreted as "the solution". Atm i do not know what your problem root-cause is... we're trying to help you discover it, step by step.

2 Likes

Ok I'm back, I decided to reinstall the OS and start from scratch. Guess what I have internet access now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I went ahead and did a complete update once again, but this time I left out the kernel update, I can update that at a later time. Since I didn't know what you guys/girls sorry, were talking about with the commands, I decided to just reinstall the OS rather then trouble you all. Oh...I also turned on Timeshift, so next time this happens I can just go back to an earlier time. Thx you guys/girls for your help and responding, I am good to go now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by