new AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.0.2 introduced "do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector" messages

Today I installed new beta BIOS 7C37v193(Beta version) for my MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI board. I did not have any errors or issues with the previous beta 7C37v192(Beta version) which I was running for several weeks now.

7C37v193(Beta version) is introducing "Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.0.2" and now I see the following errors in the journal (with kernel 5.4 and 5.7):

Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: .... node  #0, CPUs:        #1
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #2
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 2.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #3
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 3.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #4
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 4.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #5
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 5.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #6
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 6.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #7
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 7.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #8
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 8.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:   #9
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 9.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:  #10
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel: do_IRQ: 10.55 No irq handler for vector
Jun 24 11:29:29 manjaro kernel:  #11 #12 #13 #14 #15

I searched the web and this forum. One suggested solution is kernel parameter pci=nomsi,noaer . But that is not working here. With nomsi it is not booting at all and with noaer alone I still see the messages.

Any idea what that is and how to get rid of it?

PS
I have send an email to MSI support too.

Just for the records:

This is issue seems to be known since 2019(!) and is discussed on the arch mailing list and the kernel mailing list:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256227

and

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/2/19/516

Now I am wondering why this pops up on my machine just now.

I just updated my Asus Crosshair VIII to the latest BIOS that was released on June 29th and started to see this message pop up during boot although the system itself runs fine. I know it's been a few days but have you found a fix or why it's just now showing up?

I have not found a fix. But what I read so far is telling me that the message is annoying but it does not negatively affect the systems.

Nevertheless, just 2 or days ago, MSI removed the download link for the 1.9 beta BIOS versions. They only provide the latest stable 1.8 version at the moment. This is unusual and tells me that they have found some issues with the newest BIOS. I downgraded to 1.8 yesterday.

This error message is driving me nuts. I have an asus x570 tuf mobo and i’m also getting this message on boot after updating the bios. Hopefully asus somehow fixes it with another bios update because I’m unable to downgrade the bios even afudos.

I am afraid the fix needs to be in the kernel. The kernel needs to learn about the new irq vector and needs to handle it.

Yea unfortunately Asus didn't mark the new BIOS as beta on their downloads page, even though it supposedly is. Every time I try to downgrade I get a message saying the selected file is not a BIOS file. I did learn that it is possible to downgrade using the BIOS flashback tool and flash drive, but since I'm not seeing any negative effects other than the error on boot, I'm going to leave it as is for now.

I second this. I have an ASUS Prime X570-P mobo and I upgraded the bios and I am getting the same errors.

When ever I try and configure vfio this error is making the kernel freeze (happens on both linux56 and linux57 kernels) and I am unable to proceed so I have to reinstall Manjaro to get everything working again.

Due to to this I am thinking it is pci related in some way and/or cpu based of one of the prior links.

That's why it's called Beta.

Thank you for mentioning this. But I knew that and I am testing this beta. And I am giving feedback to the community. If you do not appreciate the feedback, then please dont read it and do not reply.

To be fair, at least for the Asus motherboard that I am using, the BIOS page does not mark it as a beta. I only discovered that it was a beta from a comment on a reddit post by an Asus employee.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1551605#c54

This thread provides an AMD document. It seems that AMD does not intend to use firmware update to fix this problem. Maybe amd engineers should submit the corresponding kernel patch?

Ignoring interrupts doesn't sound like a good idea.:frowning:

In addition, the BIOS update provided by MSI seems useless. I am using V198 now. Of course, if amd intends to fix this problem through firmware update, I will have to wait for agesa to update.

This is very interesting information. Thank you.

The AMD documentation says:

Potential Effect on System:
Unpredictable system behavior.

That confirms my thinking that I should better step away from this BIOS version and stick with the old stable version.

In fact, I feel good. This error should cause the IOMMU to fail, but I have been using GPU pass through all the time, and there seems to be no failure.

Forum kindly sponsored by