New to the forum, introduce yourself

Thank you

2 Likes

Hello,
I am from the United States and have been on linux about 2 months.
What brought me here: Windows 10 is terrible and Ubuntu wasnt for me.
So far I am enjoying Manjaro KDE a lot and I hope to be able to contribute to the community.

5 Likes

Excellent idea kresimir . Thanks for thinking of it.

Yes! @Caiqs Please...

2 Likes

Ok! I will translate it then post it! Thanks guys!

1 Like

may this helps Graphic Card information correct? 'GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ' ?== '...Nvidia GTX1050Ti'

So there you go, it took a while to translate as english isn't my mother language (It was huge), I hope that I translated without murdering the grammar too much. In parenthesis are some of my comments and/or thoughts of today me, some of the issues that i had were fixed and/or found the solution. This essay was made mid August 2019, so enjoy it!

A week with Manjaro.

The linux distribution that I've chosen is Manjaro linux, the reason that I've chosen over other linux distros was the AUR, a massive archive of programs that aren't officially supported in linux. (This statement was soooo wrong, but I was in my first week, so that's how I saw it at the time).

Manjaro is a distro from the Arch linux family branch, a branch known for bleeding edge software, massive repositories and the "do it yourself" mindset that the user could make it's system however they wanted. The version of the OS that I used for this essay was:18.0.4 KDE, with my specs being: i7 7th gen, 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1060 GPU, firstly on Oracle's Virtual Box virtual machine and later a dual boot with windows 10.

(As the essay wasn't very formal per professor's request the remaining of the text was a bunch of notes from day 1 to day 6, my day 7 notes were merged with the conclusion).

Day 1 - I've successfully installed Manjaro Linux on Virtual Box, the process of installation was fairly easily, as expected the system is running slowly due the virtualization but is pretty much usuable, the notifications tray is very usefull but I found it odd the trash folder directly on the the task bar. The GUI is practically the same as windows with a few differences, but overall the system is pretty easy to use. The only downside is the resolution on Virtual Box is too much small for my screen - hasn't found the solution yet. The problems that I found was that some of the GUI wasn't translated or was mistranslated, specially on the installation GUI (Most of it was fixed in later updates) and some of the programs that came installed doesn't have a portuguese translation (This is a non issue for me, but for other people it might be).

Day 2 - I loved the customization options in the OS (Didn't know what DE was and I thought that KDE, XFCE and Gnome were configurations of the GUI) but some of them weren't being changed like pamac (Didn't know that was because GTK had a different tab or what GTK was) and I was right to choose Manjaro because of the AUR, there are so many programs there and most of the programs we need to use are in there, like astah and github, but sadly vscode and xampp aren't (I would later found vscode by accident on the AUR as just code, but xampp is still borked in the AUR), however I'm considering to switch to a dual boot due to having performance issues due the installation of ClamTK, an antivirus for linux.

Day 3 - I had to unninstall ClamTk due the virtualization becoming sluggish and making the system unusable. The update process had broken the system and for unknown reason I got a "Kernel Panic", rolledback a snapshot and updated through the terminal (my first experience with the client terminal) but apt-get isn't working (Duh, it isn't ubuntu server anymore hahaha), linux wasn't liking me for some unkown reason, things were frozen left and right, the system hanged from the simplest things although I've got xampp working (lampp), the manjaro linux forum is pretty active (But only in december I would join the forum) and I've found a guide the help me to dual boot easily (HUGE THANKS GUYS) beacuse I'm currently incapable of testing the system ports and load the heavy applications (These were obligatory in our essays, but the performance testing was later dropped due a ramdom dude in my class had chosen windows millenium to switch to for a week).

Day 4 - I've successfully dual booted the system and installed all the applications that i've previously installed and customized differently the system, the remaining programs the I needed were installed via Snapstore (I'm still don't know exactly what a snap or flatpack is and the differences between them). The leap of performance of the system was huge, it is faster than windows 10 and the same java program was compiled in a fraction of the time and executed better than windows 10, however none of the applications made with android studio or when executed in android studio were working, I dig up a bit and found that wasn't the same java in linux as in windows, oracle's java installation in linux was a pain because it was failing all the attempts the "normal" way (Only would successfully install in late october, the other installation would crash often). As for the ports, the type c and hdmi weren't working (I was using a 4.14 kernel at the time). Dispite this problems I'm very content with linux, specially programming, didn't need to go a through a few hoops to get things working and hadoop was working out of the box in Intellij (VS code was harder to get working, but I still use Intellij for Java programming beacuse is powerful af and our university arrenged for us a free yearly subscription for the remaining of our course), the UI is better than Windows, KDE connect is awesome, the AUR programs aren't crashing (I was expecting the to crash), Libreoffice isn't corrupting any files after installed the fonts from microsoft, and timeshift saved the system many times, and updating from the terminal is better than windows 10 update mechanism.

Day 5 - (I was pissed off in this day) After upgrading the kernel most of the usb-c was working execpt the display and sound output. Today the day was supposed to be the testing porformance of games in linux, but none of them worked (EU 4 had worked, albeit slowly) and all of them complained about GPU, I checked if the the driver was installed and it was.I tried to search the forum and the news were less then ideal, optimus notebooks were famous to not work very well in linux. I tried to get bumblebee working only to result in a "kernel panic", tried prime but resulted in a black screen on boot. I now know that the GPU and optimus issue and the hdmi not working were tied together, I didn't managed to get the GPU working, but through the cli and following a guide, I managed to get an hdmi output through virtual output, but no audio output. I'm nearly giving up to solving this problem, and although excelent for programming, linux is still not the fit for me and not fit for notebooks. (This part of the essay was written 3a.m. after 16 hours researching and testing and recovering the system, I was so burnt out at that point, I did get the gpu working in mid october after I understanded more about linux and the differences between DEs, GDM and SDDM ... @dglt optimus switch, HUGE THANKS btw for your project, and installed the right version. I read this news, don't remember when, that ubuntu was getting nvidia support for nvidia optimus, I almost switched to ubuntu because of that. Now I'm very happy with optimus switch, for anyone struggling with it check this link: Guide: Install and configure optimus-manager for hybrid GPU setups (Intel/NVIDIA) and a HUGE THANK YOU to @michaldybczak for the guide)

Day 6 - After some debate with my collegues, I've began to see a trend with linux, open source or free software usually was better performing and more easy to use than the windows counterparts, VS code ironically was better in linux than windows, firefox didn't ate as much ram, kdenlive was leagues better than sony vegas (Don't have the subscription for adobe premiere for comparison) and lampp servers didn't crash once ( for some random reason xampp server crashed often in my machine and in other people's machine didn't crash once). But when we are talking about proprietary stuff, linux was underwhelmingly worse than windows, skype was (and still is) buggy, nvidia refuse to support linux properly, no support for ms office and outside of steam, good luck getting games properly work in linux (I didn't know about play on linux or lutris, just wine) and the parts of your pc could heavy interfere with your UX, more than the expected, such as ports or drivers, depending of your hardware could work out of the box or not. Today, however linux was a godess in software form, after (another) borked update from windows break the entire system to the point where I needed to reinstall the OS, Manjaro linux could access the Windows files and revert the damage (This was my first real client terminal usage, and I was so scared to break anything that I created three timeshift save point, one of wich on a external drive).

After a week with ups and downs with manjaro linux, I'm surprised about how much i had learned about linux in only one week, after many troubleshoots I didn't know that this were gonna be my experience, in the last day I moved every personal, college, isos and programming files over to linux, I only didn't moved the gamming files and the windows only programs related files, such some of the raw vegas files and chroma key files. The dual boot was a thing that was going to be temporary, but now i've expanded the linux partition to ~1TB of space, It's now permanent, altough my hdmi port and the gpu aren't working (Now they are!!!), the benefit of having linux as my OS to go for programming is higher, after I dual booted, my productivity as a programmer skyrocketed, I didn't need to configure the system as much as did in windows. I played with the idea of changing the distro, but i don't anymore, it's going to need a fully fledged support for nvidia or really better system overall, beacuse Manjaro linux is awesome, it's trying to be beginner friendly, but there are many things outside of their hand the be really beginner friendly, the forum guides were really helpful and insightful, but sadly linux has long way to be as easy to use as windows, (This opinion changed, after my grandfather installed zorin OS he said that was more easy to use than windows, due to be "uncannily equal to android" - his words, and after virtualizing other distros for him to choose, now I find linux more easy to use than windows in some distros, other like arch or gentoo are a little too much for me at time of writing, but i want to do a fresh install of arch just because), specially because of support comming only in english (for me this is, again, a non issue) but right now I'm staying with linux as my primary OS now for the time being.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing this fine work Caiqs. I fully enjoyed your writing style, and the translation shows how well you can communicate. It was quite an undertaking!

All this in one week!? Wow Most impressive! You certainly mastered alot in that short time. I sure have forgot what it was like to be in collage, young and going 16 hrs straight... :thinking: Your fire and dedication shine brightly, well done!

@kresimir What say you?

Again thank you very much.
martin

5 Likes

After I began to use linux, I fell in love with the OS. I was like a child discovering a pc for the first time. By the end of the 4th day, I had begun to play with the idea of switching to linux altogether. This 16 hours began after I finished downloading Rainbow Six, at around 9 a.m. thoughted To give it a try. Then I've entered in the rabbit hole so to speak. Protondb -> wine -> drivers -> nvidia optimus -> googling in every distro forum that I've found.

Although I was desperate for a solution and mad/sad that the GPU refused to work, It wouldn't change the good that linux had brought me, I was determined to get that thing worked because I wanted to work. I wanted the feeling that I did found a solution that finally suited me. With the death of windows 7, there weren't many options that I liked at the time (Stick with windows 10 and hope for the best?; Go back to 8.1 and have another parked cpu?; Donate a kidney and go to a mac?; Or adventure into uncharted territory that may or may not fully work?) And I needed to learn linux enough to troubleshoot it for my 60 year old grandfather. My mindset at the time was that: if I solve this, I will be able to solve most of what hell might spit of errors (So far, he had only one problem - the printer).

It was my pleasure to share my story with you guys, and Thank You to all of you for this amazing community.

7 Likes

I'd gotten a bit irritated with Debian-based distros, and Canonical, deleted useful apps from the repos, and compiling source code leads to dependency hell:grimacing:. I knew, and later discovered, all the missing apps were in the AUR. Compiling my must-have audio player, Aqualung, even when I was used to doing it, took around 30 minutes. Pamac compiled it in ~5 minutes.:heart_eyes:

I'm in love. Using Manjaro is like falling in love with the best OS all over again. Faster than any Ubuntu flavor, fewer daemons, and it's a rolling release!:smiley:

I'm using the testing repos, and have had nary a problem with stability yet. I'd love to help report bugs, but there haven't BEEN any!:kissing_heart:

5 Likes

I'm happy that my guide was helpful :slight_smile: . I recently updated the point 9 where I talk about Hybrid mode.

What I didn't write there yet, was my experiments about the power usage. Hybrid mode usually uses up 15% less energy compared to Nvidia mode. Intel mode on other hand uses 30-60% less energy so it's definitely better to use Intel when working on a battery. Hybrid mode offers only a small gain at the moment.

I'm amazed you did so much in one week. This is huge. Usually it takes weeks to get around those things. However, no matter how quick you learn, Linux is like never ending goal, there is always something more around the corner and only you decide to go further. And yes, Linux can be incredibly frustrating but also beyond satisfying.

Good luck on your further road. Don't be afraid to break the system. Most of us did that at least few times on the beginning before our installation became stable. It's a part of a learning process. Now my Manjaro installations are long-lasting. The current one is 3,5 year old and it's good for everything, like a well-rounded laptop: work, browsing, gaming, music, movies, .etc I have Windows on another disc but I just don't use it.

3 Likes

Hello,
I am a longterm Linux user with Windows breaks, as long as an OS works, I don't usually switch.
My first Linux I used was Ubuntu 8.4.1, and stickied to it until I got a new Computer with Windows.
I have experience with Mint, openSuse and Fedora as well and now I'm in love with my working notebook. And I have the goddamn luck that everything works out of box, except I'm the biggest noob sometimes :joy:

3 Likes

Hello everyone. I am Panos from Greece and I am a, self-taught-everything, Linux enthusiast and long time user. I always had some distro as my go-to OS but always had a Win installation somewhere due to some games I play but mainly because of the Adobe suite. I have now found a solution for the Adobe suite and if I find a solution for my game it will be the end for Win.

I never was a fan of Ubuntu and especially Unity but up until 2014 I was using Xubuntu. I had old hardware back then so it suited my needs perfectly. That is until KDE Plasma launched. I had to upgrade hardware at that time so it fitted perfectly.

TL;DR I come from KDE Neon which I love, and my 1st distrohop for 2020 is Manjaro KDE. I was always afraid of Arch until I installed it from scratch on a VM. My goal for this year is, to treat Manjaro like is my only option for 1 year. If it succeeds on what I want I will leave KDE Neon, keep Manjaro as my main distro and then try for Arch KDE from scratch.

Manjaro team you make a great job on making Arch Linux available for so many users. Thank you.

8 Likes

Hi,
I'm Arno from the Netherlands.
I've been using Ubuntu Linux for my private laptops since 2008.
Since around 3 years ago I've started using ElementaryOS because I like the minimal approach and simplicity. I've been following the Pine64.org project for around half a year and like the Pinebook Pro. So I've purchased it and Manjaro seems to me the most beautiful distro for it which also has rapid development. I am very curious whether I find my way in Manjaro, but so far it has been a good experience.

5 Likes

Hi Guys,

I'm a complete noob to Linux, though I love the environment I have a lot to learn.
I'll be googling stuff and asking friends as much as I can but I'll probably be here more often than not.

I apologize if I ask any duplicate questions I'll try my best to avoid this, I know how they get over at Stackoverflow hahaha.

6 Likes

Hello everyone!

I have had an on an off relationship with Linux for a few years now. The most difficult part was parting with software I enjoyed using on Windows. Ultimately I have made the switch permanent and realized just how restricting my previous software experiences were.

The next part of my journey was finding a Linux Distro that really suited my experience level but got out of the way enough to be productive. Happily I think that search is finally over. I'm absolutely enjoying the Manjaro Openbox distribution. The GUI is helpful when I need to depend on it and nothing beats Pacman. This is after trying distros like Gentoo (which I liked but was in over my head with after the install), Mint, Ubuntu, Elementary, Arch (which is great aside from the installation), Fedora, Debian (Probably my least favorite), OpenSuse, Red Hat Linux, Puppy Linux,...... well the list goes on.

The fact is Openbox Manjaro is like the three bears and their bowls of porridge. Not too difficult, not too Windows,.... just right! I look forward to being apart of the community. Thank you for having me.

8 Likes

Hi there,

first time I know Linux it's not as kewl as nowadays..
it's getting better and better until I decided that I will live with it, and commited to use it for everything I need on my life.

First time I know Arch , it feels diffrent than other distro I used before , (I've tried Debian , Mandrake, Slackware ) . Then I met Manjaro, feels like riding a new bike , a good one, see you around here mate.

5 Likes

Hello Manjaro!

I came across Manjaro by chance. My old openSUSE box had suffered a crippling meltdown, so I bought a new PC and tried to install openSUSE 15.1. Didn't work, even if the installer reached the end, the result wouldn't boot. Netrunner, nice distro I've used in the past, after screensfull of error messages, the installer wouldn't run. I had just put Manjaro XFCE onto my Vista era laptop so thought I'd try that. The same screensfull of error messages, but the installer ran! And the OS actually booted!
So now I have Manjaro KDE. There are a few significant differences from other distros I've used, but nothing I can't get used to. Though it does seem too easy to delete things I didn't mean to delete. And Kmail won't create accounts, so I'm having to use Thunderbird.
It's quick, it's neat, and I like the idea of the rolling release, running upgrades twice a year was a nuisance. I think I'm here to stay. But I said that about openSUSE, and before that Netrunner, so we'll see how it pans out.
My technical background was in ICL and DEC. I thought they were dead and buried but it seems both VME and VMS are still alive. I loved systems work but had to do application support and maintenance as I had a young and very dependent family, so the night and weekend work of the systems programmer was not an option.
With the new century I gave up on IT and turned journalist. I also gave up on MS, 98SE being my last from them, and began with Fedora.
While I enjoy fiddling with the OS it is here to be used, not played with, so I have not built up any great expertise. My out-of-date Reilly Linux Pocket Guide is well thumbed.

5 Likes

Hi (again!) I'm Brian, based in Fife, Scotland.

I joined the forum a few weeks ago, felt somewhat overwhelmed by Manjaro, so promptly ran out the door and deleted my account! :roll_eyes:

I am becoming exceedingly tired of the 6 monthly upgrade / reinstall cycles of my previous Ubuntu / based OS, or the two year cycle for Linux Mint (it's certainly stable, but the software gets outdated very quickly).

Seeing as I use system for photo editing, I figured I may as well embrace a rolling OS like Manjaro. Certainly easier to get up to date versions of Darktable, gimp etc, without relying on Ubunta PPAs.

OK, so a rolling distro may take a bit more care when updating, but at least that gives me a nice up to date system, without waiting on a major update / upgrade every 6 months.

8 Likes

Hai gang!

I tried out Ubuntu, about a decade ago. The layout were alright, but I didn't fall in love with it. All that typing and remembering commands felt alien to me and... well archaic, to be honest. The romance lasted almost a month, before I gave up.

After Win7 got closed down last year, I felt forced to migrate, so I went with what I knew. It still felt alien, so when I bought a new rig, I tried out Manjaro.

At first I were worried about the rolling updates, but after realizing how powerful "all that archaic typing" were, I'm really enjoying everything about it!

I plan on sticking around, so you might see some silly questions from time to time, in the noob forums.

8 Likes

Hello guys. New linux user here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by